variable water pressure in shower

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by Bob1000, Mar 20, 2008.

1. Bob1000

Bob1000 New Member

I have a booster pump system ( pump / tank/ pressure switch ) and an instant gas boiler for hot water supply.
    At the shower , the water temperature keeps changing between the pump start and stop because of the pressure fluctuation between the cut in and cut out pressure values .
    I also have to keep min hot tap opening otherwise the instant gas boiler would turn off if water pressure passing through it is not enough
    Any ideas of how to have steady pressure and consequently constant shower water temperature?
    Thanks to every body in advance
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

You have a combination of problems...a system needs to be engineered if you want it to work well together. I'm not sure this will. The pressure variations make it tough, along with the tankless varying its outlet temperature based on the flow rate which changes with the pump cycling. You could try to change the shower valve to a thermostatically controlled one. I was in a hotel in London with one, the flow hiccupped, but the temperature seemed to be pretty consistent. You need to bug the manufacturers to find out the reaction time for sensing temperature variations...not all are created equal and none may do what you want. What may work out best is a small tank fed by the tankless. Then, it would act like a buffer and give more consistent temperatures.
  3. Bob1000

Bob1000 New Member

Pressure regulator

Thank you for your help!
    I have fixed a pressure regulator and that have solved the problem of the instant tankless heater but I am still thinking of connecting it to a small tank to work as a buffer but my only concern is that in the time of opening the hot tap but the heater could not start , the cold water would replace the hot water in the tank and eventually would reduce its temperatuer substantially so in case of rel need of hot water you have to drain all the tank befoe the real hot water comes out