Valves will not close

Discussion in 'Irrigation / Sprinkler Forum' started by mrpoune, Aug 12, 2007.

1. mrpoune

mrpoune New Member

Aug 12, 2007

This is my first experience with sprinkler systems.

I am trying to install my electronic controller

First, when the controller sends a signal to the valves (Orbit), is it normal to hear a big "TIC".

Using the controller stations test feature, I have open the 3 valves I have. The run station of my controller (Rainbird) will not close them and now the only way to shut off the valve is to close the water. If I reopen the water then all the zones are activated.

Please help

Montreal, Canada.
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Aug 31, 2004
    San Diego
    Controllers often have relays, which will 'click'. The valves will also click when activated. Generally, barring a massive short circuit, a controller doe not hold valves open. If they fail to close, that is usually a mechanical problem in the valve: stuck solenoid, or stuck diaphragm. You can confirm this by unplugging the controller. If the valves stay open, it IS a valve problem.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. mrpoune

mrpoune New Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Thanks for the quick reply...

I managed to close the valves by hand by unmounting them. Now, it is working fine. something wrong with the initial valve position maybe... I did also remove a rock from the valve....

5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots Sprinkler Guy

Mar 23, 2007
    Metro NYC
    Ahhh, an important detail. You want to leave those on the outside of the valves.
  6. Mr_Pike

Mr_Pike New Member

Jun 28, 2007
    Any debris in a valve will cause a leak. Stuff as small as a grain of sand can cause a malfunction.

Now then with your problem. Did you get all the valves to close and work properly every time?