Vacuum breaker for a bidet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Robert Gift

Reaction score
American Standard bidet bought at Habitat for Humanity's ReStore.

Beloved douche nozzle in bowl. Flush rim.
Assume a vacuum breaker is needed because bowl water could syphon into the water line.

How do I do that?

Thank you.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I only installed the kohler very popular here back in 80s and 90s had a vac breaker 6 inches above flood rim I think quite high. As I remember there was 100 pieces to those damn things pretty easy to install but just tons of parts washers friction rings pop up drain a bunch.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
yea most people (today)concider a bidet a fancy toilet seat and not a fixture. the later very popular

Robert Gift

Reaction score
yea most people (today)concider a bidet a fancy toilet seat and not a fixture. the later very popular
Yes. Years ago I bought an AMDM Intelliseat® toilet seat "bidet" at Co$tco for $150.
Its many useful features make it far better than a real bidet and far less expen$ive.
I even thought of starting Bob's Bidets You can pay us Tuesday for a bidet today!

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I only install them but I hear the bidet seats are better than the actual bidets we used to install

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Since we're talkomg vacuum breakers I'm pretty sure bidet seats aren't legal either since they (generally) bypass the vacuum breaker in the toilet. That being said, I love mine and probably won't live without one again.

Robert Gift

Reaction score
Since we're talkomg vacuum breakers I'm pretty sure bidet seats aren't legal either since they (generally) bypass the vacuum breaker in the toilet. That being said, I love mine and probably won't live without one again.
Is there not a onewayalve which would prevent contaminated water from the spray arm going back into the little tank and then water supply?
Yes, when ours wears out, we will immediately buy another.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Is there not a onewayalve which would prevent contaminated water from the spray arm going back into the little tank and then water supply?
Yes, when ours wears out, we will immediately buy another.
A one way valve doesn't prevent backflow. They would need a listed backflow device which is essentially two one way valves back to back or an approved vacuum breaker.

Robert Gift

Reaction score
A one way valve doesn't prevent backflow. They would need a listed backflow device which is essentially two one way valves back to back or an approved vacuum breaker.
Yes, I'd expectwonewayalves. Wonder if a vacuum breaker is inside the toilet seat bidet. I assume these are all UPC approved, otherwise they could not be sold in the US.
When ours fails, I shall take it apart.

Robert Gift

Reaction score
Found a Kohler bidet at another ReStore.
No flush rim.
Athe front of the bowl below the top it has . : . round holes. Water comes outhe top hole? The three below are overflow holes?
The bidet has a tall center diverter valve which I believe has a built-in vacuum breaker.
Had to leave on an urgent bloodelivery to a hospital, so could not examine the bidet. Took a photo.
Maybe I can buy the $75 bidet when/if it reduces in price and move the valves, diverter, and everything to our American Standard bidet whichas the flush rim.

Robert Gift

Reaction score
In the misplaced plastic bag withe American Standard bidet is 1/4-inch chrome? piping.
Water from the hot and cold valves Tees into a pipe rising 1-foot. (H)_|_(C)
The chrome pipe inserts into brass fittings athe top. Water crosses over andown another pipe going into the bidet diverter valve
_____VB._
.(H)_|_(C) ...|___(DV)

No vacuum breaker athe top crossover.
(Prepared for a small vacuum breaker?)

Is there a small vacuum breaker which can be attached there?
Thank you.

Last edited:

Robert Gift

Reaction score
Are there any model numbers on these?
Underneathe bidet fixture istamped into the vitreous china: 5054/5 293 AUG231995
In black ink STRSL6 P-20
It is American Standard's Cadet model.
white-american-standard-bidet-toilets-5023-100-020-64_100.jpg

Robert Gift

Reaction score
Habitat for Humanity’s ReStoreduced the Kohler bidet from $75 to $30 to $15.
Shall remove the appurtenances from it and hopefully theyvill fithe American Standard vitreous china base.
The diverter valve looks twice as tall as the hot and cold valves. Assume it has a vacuum breaker. Willook to see if is.

Plan to puthe Delta valves, diverter, pop-up drain andouche nozzle on the Kohler bidet base andonate ito the ReStore.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks