Use Sump Water For Toilet Flushing

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by Porkus_Bellus, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Porkus_Bellus

Porkus_Bellus New Member

Water has gotten very expensive in my area (sewer & rain water & "Clean River" charges are based on metered water use). Since I have clean ground water in my basement sump most of the year, wondering if I can take advantage of this free resource for toilet flushing & car washing.
    I would disconnect the toilet tank & outside faucet from the city water and run a separate line to the sump area. Then I would need a way to get the water out of the sump and into some kind of pressure tank. All the pumps I have looked at so far are very expensive and perhaps oversized for the job. I am experienced with electrical, copper, gas, and plastic piping but not wells or pumps.
    Is this project feasible or would it cost more than it's worth? Currently the sump has a submersible pump and the discharge goes to the street.
    Any suggestions or links welcome. Thanks!
  2. speedbump

speedbump Previous member

You could be pumping that water into a cistern of maybe 300 to 500 gallons. Then pull from that with a jet pump to feed the toilet and hosebibbs. You will also need a bladder tank.

bob...
  3. Porkus_Bellus

Porkus_Bellus New Member

:eek: Sticker Shock !!!
  4. speedbump

Then you can keep paying that large water bill. The investment in the equipment I mentioned would save you a lot of money in a short time.

bob...
  5. Porkus_Bellus

Porkus_Bellus New Member

Thanks to everyone for your helpful and intelligent suggestions. :cool: However, after having evaluated the cost vs benefit we have decided to build an out-house as a means of saving water. Please send your Sears catalogs and corn cobs. Thank You.
  6. speedbump

Remember in the winter, always be the second one into the outhouse. That way the seat will be warm.

bob...
  7. leejosepho

leejosepho DIY scratch-pad engineer

It might also help for everyone to bathe in the rain barrell on their ways back to the house ... and if you fit the top of it with a removable and fine screen, you will not have to deal with angry mosquitos while drying off again.
  8. jrseaberg

jrseaberg New Member

stupid idea for solution???

Recreational vehicles sometimes use a 12 volt demand pump. Some use a "pressure bladder tank" (don't know the correct name). This might work for refilling the toilets, but I don't think they have the pressure or flow capabilities for garden hose use.

Jim
  9. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

sears

As the farmer said when the sales person asked for the catalog number for the toilet paper he was ordering, "If I had the catalog, I wouldn't need the toilet paper."
  10. leejosepho

leejosepho DIY scratch-pad engineer

Something like that is probably even available in 110vac, and would easily work as suggested for re-filling a toilet tank. And, I believe the typical "pressure tank" for a small demand pump is simply a shock absorber to deal with water hammer.

For washing the car, a slightly larger and still-inexpensive pump could be manually switched on or off and would not need a tank if a low-set PRV was serving as a CSV to keep it running for the duration.
  11. Porkus_Bellus

Porkus_Bellus New Member

Great idea - I'll look at the 12-volt RV stuff. I'd be happy just to take advantage of that clean sump water without getting a home improvement loan.

This experience has taught me how important it is to have city utilities as well. Even though there are the assoicated utility bills, it's still less hassle than doing your own water testing, pumping/storage/treatment, sewage and needing a propane tank, etc.