Up size two line jet pump for more pressure?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
First off I would like to say this is a great site. I frequent it often so tonight I decided to become a member. I am not a professional but I educate myself as needed. I currently run a goulds 1/2 hp convertable jet pump (j5+) the pressure switch is set to 30-50, and the pressure tank size is 44gal. It does ok for now but I want to go to a 40-60 pressure switch. Currently it takes about 5min. To fill the tank to 50psi. After that if I open only 1 faucet (2nd floor bath) it will draw the tank down, the pump will cut in and will only give me about 31-32psi the whole time the tub is running. My plan is to up the the pump to a 1hp j10. With a 40-60 pressure switch. Also I would add a csv and set it to 55lb. I think I would probaby have to change the jet assembly but haven't looked into that yet. It is -42c here right now and I really don't want to perform an accurate depth check on the well till it warms up a bit. But its roughly a 25' rise with about 200' of piping to the house. Anybody feel this woul be a good solution for more pressure? I would like to stick with the jet pump as I will have 2 spare 1/2hp for emergency situations.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
If your well is 4 inches or more, consider putting in a 1/2 HP submersible. That give similar water of a 1 HP jet pump with less drama. It would be much quieter too.

It is possible that you could run the power wire through the yard in one of the current pipes. I suspect you would have to change the pitless, however, if you have one.

If you swap jet pumps, I don't know if you would have to change the jet to accomplish what you want.

Last edited:

PumpMd

Kevin
Reaction score
Currently it takes about 5min. To fill the tank to 50psi.

That's a lot wasted electrical consumption to fill your pressure tank. 1/2hp-3/4hp 10gpm submersible pump would be a better match. Roughly 95psi max on a 1/2hp 10gpm submersible pump and 3/4hp 10gpm submersible pump is roughly 125psi max.

Plenty of room for adjustments on your pressure switch to deal friction losses and elevation rise losses to your 2nd floor bath. 50-70psi setting is max on a light duty pressure switch. Make sure you don't struggle your submersible pump to cut out pressure on your depth to water for your long term outside watering needs.

Reaction score
Currently it takes about 5min. To fill the tank to 50psi.

That's a lot wasted electrical consumption to fill your pressure tank. 1/2hp-3/4hp 10gpm submersible pump would be a better match. Roughly 95psi max on a 1/2hp 10gpm submersible pump and 3/4hp 10gpm submersible pump is roughly 125psi max.

Plenty of room for adjustments on your pressure switch to deal friction losses and elevation rise losses to your 2nd floor bath. 50-70psi setting is max on a light duty pressure switch. Make sure you don't struggle your submersible pump to cut out pressure on your depth to water for your long term outside watering needs.
The sub is a good idea. But I have extra jet pumps for short term emergency use if I need to remove one to rebuild. The 5 min. Run time is long and I think that would be to replenish only 12gal. Of water(44gal. Tank). Rough math about 2gal. Per min. I guess. I would like to see about a 2min. Cycle I think. 40-60. Just want to size the pump so It has enough balls to give me a good 55lb. Pressure with multiple taps open. House has 3 1/2 baths, dishwasher, washer, three under ground lines to hose bibs in different locations in the yard. Im guessing highet static pressure and more volume is what I'm looking for or am I wrong.

Last edited:
Reaction score
If your well is 4 inches or more, consider putting in a 1/2 HP submersible. That give similar water of a 1 HP jet pump with less drama. It would be much quieter too.

It is possible that you could run the power wire through the yard in one of the current pipes. I suspect you would have to change the pitless, however, if you have one.

If you swap jet pumps, I don't know if you would have to change the jet to accomplish what you want.
Well is 3' crib. I don't mind the noise of the jet pump in fact I like the fact that I can hear what it is doing. (Just like my old pulse furnace LOL.). I moved into that old farm house in 2010 and never experienced any drama with the jet pump setup until this winter. I noticed the pump started to cycle every 20 min. So I started looking for leaks around the house and found none. The well was the next stop so I pulled the lines up and found the foot valve was bad. Now everything is good down there. I would like to stick with the jet pump setup just bigger so I can use my small ones to get me by while the big boy is getting a rebuild. I feel it is much less hassle to deal with pump problems in my warm basement in the winter than going to the cold well in -40.

Last edited:

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Remember, the jet needs to match the pump and well.

If you really want more performance look into the multi stage hsj pump. Make sure you buy the optional regulator and not the crappy one they send with the pump.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Taking that long to build to 50 PSI, makes me think the water level is 20+ feet deep. The J10 would barely let you run 40/60 switch. You might go on up to the J15 or J15S. A CSV1A will still make that large pump act like a small one when needed. And the larger pump would make up for the 20+ feet of lift in the well and give you more pressure, especially on the upper floor.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Remember, the jet needs to match the pump and well.

If you really want more performance look into the multi stage hsj pump. Make sure you buy the optional regulator and not the crappy one they send with the pump.
I was assuming even though the pump is convertible, it is just using one pipe down the well?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
IMHO having a bunch of old spares is a poor excuse for sticking with jet pumps. A sub of equal HP will run circles around a jet.

Reach4

Reaction score
Suppose Darcy, this summer, were to put a submersible into the 3 ft diameter well, and combined into one of the existing pipes with check valves. Could the two systems act as backups to each other? The submersible would have a flow inducer, and it would probably be horizontal.

That would require running power, but that is easier than running pipes.

Swap power in the house to switch over.

Reach4

Reaction score
I fail to see any need to go horizontal.
Maybe not. Horizontal would have you drawing water a foot or two higher than you would vertical. There may be enough water depth to make that insignificant.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
The flow inducer (properly sealed at the top) and the depth the pump is hung determines at what level it draws from.

Reach4

Reaction score
The flow inducer (properly sealed at the top) and the depth the pump is hung determines at what level it draws from.
So you are saying that the bulk of the pump could be out of the water? I would at least want the intake to be below the water line.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
That is usually only an issue with use in a cistern but of course could apply to a low producing well. To ensure a proper seal on a flow inducer sleeve one can use a traditional well seal. That way none of the pump is ever out of the water although it would not matter if it was. It is just the motor that should remain in contact with the water.

I think today's pumps have shorter motors.

Reaction score
Ok with a two pipe jet I would use the J10 with an FT5-49 jet assembly package, or a J15 with a FT5-12 jet assembly.
I would like the j10 option if it will produce enough pressure & volume to run at least 3 faucets. It is probably best that I get an accurate depth and pipe run before I commit to anything. What are your thoughts on the Csv. It says they fill the tank at 1gpm if thats the case maybe I should of stuck with a smaller tank as it would take even longer than 5 min. To fill.
Does the suction and the discharge on the j15 go up in size? And does it matter if I reduce them.?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
With a pumping level of 25', that J10 will put out 10 GPM at 50 PSI. That should easily run three 3GPM faucets at the same time.

The CSV only fills the tank at 1 GPM when it is above the CSV set pressure. So with a large tank and a 40/60 pressures switch, you set the CSV for 57 PSI. That way it only fills the last 3 gallons of the tank at 1 GPM, and you get a 3 minute run time even with a huge tank.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks