Unusual problem of too much water

Users who are viewing this thread

Don Peterson

Reaction score
I have a deep well pump lifting less than 10'. Its very very old. I use it to supply my unheated sugar house via a drainback hydrant like for barns. There is no pressure tank, since that would have to be drained daily. I control it via the on/off. The hydrant runs into a kitchen sink. This is a 220v pump with capacitor start if that matters.

THeres way too much flow-- it goes all over! Do I have any options other than diverting half to outside? That would make a mess I think. Thanks!

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Whatever you want from the faucet. Typically they run between 2 GPM and 5 GPM. Time how long it takes to fill a pail in the house and then choose accordingly.

Upthrust is when there is not enough load on the pump and the impellers... thrust up, wearing down the tops of the volutes.

Don Peterson

Reaction score
So if I understand you: I can restrict the flow down to 2gpm without frying the pump. Can I do this at the spigot? it has IPS thread.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
If you put a restriction on the spigot, it could produce too powerful a stream. The restriction should be further back. I don't know anything about your pump (HP or GPM) so I cannot say for sure what restricting the flow to 2 GPM would do. For sure it will raise the pressure so the quality of the pipe could be a factor.

You could try using a ballvalve to restrict the flow. Put a pressure gauge inline, between the pump and the valve so that you can see how much pressure builds when you restrict it.

Don Peterson

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. Its all underground, so a valve downstream isnt practical, but at least I understand the problem better.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
In most cases a 2HP or smaller motor will stay cool enough at a flow rate of 2/10’s of a GPM. I always use 1 GPM for a safety factor. 2HP and smaller pumps can work safely at 1 GPM even running 24 hours a day. BUT, the motor will melt down in about 5 minutes at zero flow.

You can restrict the flow with a faucet, but the differential pressure will quickly wear out the faucet. And you can have as much as 150 PSI or more on the pipe before the faucet.

A pressure relief valve set at 125 or 150 PSI would be a good safety device incase the faucet rattles closed or someone accidentally closes it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks