UFT-80/WBRU80 minimum flow requirement

Users who are viewing this thread

tropostudio

Reaction score
I'm installing my Westinghouse WBRUNG80 boiler in a direct pumped, homerun setup with a TRV at each panel radiator. Single CH circulation pump is a Grundfos Alpha. No hydraulic separator. It also has an indirect DHW tank with a 3 speed Grundfos pump.

Boiler manual says it must maintain minimum flow across the heat exchanger, but that number isn't published anywhere.

There is a pressure vs flow graph that cuts out at 1 gpm, but I don't think that qualifies as minimum required flow, does it? Do I need to leave install a differential pressure regulator on a bypass loop to insure minimum flow across the heat exchanger (whatever the value may be)?

Last edited:

NY_Rob

In the Trades
Reaction score
Minimum flow thru the HX on the Westinghouse (which is a re-badged HTP UFT-80W) is 1 GPM.

With the DP Alpha... you don't need a bypass valve because it won't overpump in DP mode.

Just don't set the Alpha on fixed speed I as you may go below 1 GPM.

For the indirect with 1" piping I'm also using the 3-speed Grundfos- speed II seems to be perfect FWIW.

tropostudio

Reaction score
Minimum flow thru the HX on the Westinghouse (which is a re-badged HTP UFT-80W) is 1 GPM.

With the DP Alpha... you don't need a bypass valve because it won't overpump in DP mode.

Just don't set the Alpha on fixed speed I as you may go below 1 GPM.

For the indirect with 1" piping I'm also using the 3-speed Grundfos- speed II seems to be perfect FWIW.

Rob - What I was hoping to hear! Thanks much.

tropostudio

Reaction score
Maybe I'm overthinking this, but don't I still have a potential problem?:

Minimum flow across the WBRU80 must be 1gpm. Each emitter in homerun configuration will have a a 'passive' TRV on it for proportional control.

If all of them close down enough, my Grundfos Alpha can throttle down to deal with a no-flow situation. But without a separate primary pump with hydraulic separation, or a differential pressure bypass valve set to 1gpm, the WBRU80 could get pinched off before rooms hit their TRV setpoints.

NY_Rob

In the Trades
Reaction score
I guess it could be a problem if all the TRV's closed down considerably.
In any case- it couldn't hurt to add a differential pressure bypass valve... I don't have TRV's on my systen, so no experence with them.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks