Typical/Expected Fuel air current measurement

Users who are viewing this thread

Conde

Reaction score
I have a Takagi T-H3J-DV water heater in a domestic radiant heating application. I am getting the error code 391 (Air-fuel ratio rod failure). I have cleaned and replaced the sensor multiple times but the issue seems to come back intermittently. I did put the heater in diagnostic mode and was able to read the current value on the air-fuel rod. I was measuring 7 µA on a brand new sensor with the unit operating is steady-state conditions.

My main question is, what would be an expected current value? The range on the diagnostic mode is 0-999 µA but that does not tell us much. I have reached out to Takagi to as what value/level of current would set error code 391 but I am not hopeful for a reply. I would assume the fault has some level+time+hysteresis type value.

Thanks, I love this forum for the helpful answers!

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
These are junk heaters. I was working on one with this same issue not long ago. There is a number you can call and the tech was somewhat helpful. You need to measure the gas to make sure the pressure drop is within spec. I haven't heard anything about the one I was working on, but I had ordered a new set of gaskets to take the burner box apart and clean it if it continued its issues.

My recommendation was to get a different heater as it had never been cleaned and it was 10 or more years old.

How old is this heater?

Conde

Reaction score
This unit is 8 years old. I did take the combustion chamber apart this summer and cleaned it pretty thoroughly. I will try the Takagi service number as well.

Conde

Reaction score
I called the Takagi service number and it comes up as AO Smith which apparently owns Takagi and just about every brand as well. They were somewhat helpful but not detailed. I wanted to know the Air-fuel limit that sets code 391 but he did not know. Just said that short cycling and long duration firing can lead to soot buildup so.... Super helpful.

Fitter30

Reaction score