Tub upgrade closes the gap to toilet center line - allowed?

Users who are viewing this thread

wr1

Reaction score
By upgrading to a 32" wide tub (from 30"), I bump out the distance to the toilet center line by 2". this means I now have 15" to the tub wall from toilet center line. and only 13.5" from center line to the tub plumbing line chaise wall (right of toilet bowl). does the toilet 15" rule apply here, meaning that I cannot bump out the chaise wall because it put me under 15" to toilet center line? or can I use the tub distance, since that is the bulk of the usable toilet?

Also on the left side, the vanity top overhangs the vanity by 1.5", meaning top to toilet center line if 14.5", which is under 15". the vanity wall itself is 16". Which one applies? is this a violation too since the vanity top puts me under the 15" rule?

TIA!

Attachments

• small_bath_tub_bigger.jpg
    small_bath_tub_bigger.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 946
Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I don't think the tub side is hurting you, the lav side with the overhang does. I see plenty that are installed tight after the inspections. It's where your shoulders and arms are that matter to me.

Reactions: wr1

wr1

Reaction score
thx Terry! much appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Depends on how literal your inspector treats the rules...for some, the vanity will be an issue...the tub side, if it has a glass door, might, too. I think, technically, it wants a vertical volume from the floor up with the 15" minimums. From a more practical viewpoint, you could probably get by with less if it opened up above the toilet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks