Tub trap question

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by jvkelley1, Mar 6, 2010.

1. jvkelley1

jvkelley1 Newbee

I am installing a tub and using 1.5 pvc and will be going into 1.5 copper. I have 2 questions/issues so far:
    1. Is a Fernco connector appropriate for going from pvc to copper
    2. I need a wide trap in order to get the pvc and copper to line up properly. I am about 3/8 of an inch off. I know the Fernco is somewhat flexible, but I would rather it line up perfectly. If I use 1 pvc - 90 degree elbow with a street elbow, it will give me a wide enough run to line up the pipes. The questions is, is there anything wrong with using 2 elbows to make a trap?

Thanks in advanced!
    JK
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Fernco's are seldom the right device to use ANYWHERE inside a building. You need "transition couplings" with one side for copper and the other for you PVC. There could be several ways to do the drain, but making a trap out of fittings would be the last option after all else fails.