tub to switch length...

Users who are viewing this thread

TheZster

Reaction score
Just when I thought I was out of questions.... another one pops it's ugly head.

I'm under the impression that electrical switches (lights/fans/etc.) are required to be at least 60 inches from a tub/shower. That's would force me to put my light switches behind the door of my new bathroom.... If I put them where I want them, I'm only 44 inches from the tub. But when I checked the other bathrooms in the house, I find switches considerably closer than 60 inches and easily reached from the tub. The house is only 2.5 years old - so I know it's not a new code requirement. Is it possible that they're on a GFI in the main box and that's why they're allowed to be that close to the "wet stuff"?

Plumguy

Reaction score
I know the switch distance comes into play for whirlpools, not sure about a regular tub. I would hope that you're bath would be on a GFI cicuit considering it is a fairly new house.

TheZster

Reaction score
I agree... I know the wall plugs are on their own circuit (20amp) with GFCI protection at the plugs I assume (without turning off breakers and checking bathroom lights) that the balance of each bath is on a breaker GFCI. That's what I was planning to do with the new bath.

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Anyone know what the code is when there is a wall light, controlled from a distant wall switch, which can be reached when standing in front of the sink? (relating to a GFCI)

Paul

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks