tub to switch length...

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by thezster, Aug 7, 2005.

1. thezster

thezster New Member

Just when I thought I was out of questions.... another one pops it's ugly head.

I'm under the impression that electrical switches (lights/fans/etc.) are required to be at least 60 inches from a tub/shower. That's would force me to put my light switches behind the door of my new bathroom.... If I put them where I want them, I'm only 44 inches from the tub. But when I checked the other bathrooms in the house, I find switches considerably closer than 60 inches and easily reached from the tub. The house is only 2.5 years old - so I know it's not a new code requirement. Is it possible that they're on a GFI in the main box and that's why they're allowed to be that close to the "wet stuff"?
  2. plumguy

plumguy New Member

I know the switch distance comes into play for whirlpools, not sure about a regular tub. I would hope that you're bath would be on a GFI cicuit considering it is a fairly new house.
  3. thezster

thezster New Member

I agree... I know the wall plugs are on their own circuit (20amp) with GFCI protection at the plugs I assume (without turning off breakers and checking bathroom lights) that the balance of each bath is on a breaker GFCI. That's what I was planning to do with the new bath.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

gfci

Few bathroom lights are on a GFCI circuit. If they were you would be in the dark every time one false tripped.
  5. PEW

PEW DIY Senior Member

Anyone know what the code is when there is a wall light, controlled from a distant wall switch, which can be reached when standing in front of the sink? (relating to a GFCI)

Paul