Tub Drain Test Plug?

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by jw123, Aug 11, 2008.

1. jw123

jw123 New Member

Howdy y'all. First time posting, so thanks in advance.

I'm installing a new tub in a home addition. I've been assured that the local codes inspector wants to see at least 42" of water in a standpipe (above the washer box) and the bathtub filled above the overflow. I've got a plug in a test tee down stream of the new bathroom that will fulfill requirement #1, but short of disconnecting the tub drain assembly from the PVC drain line, I can't see how I could do both at the same time. Is there a device (or something integral to my tub drain assembly) that will plug my tub drain and overflow?
  2. Master Plumber 101

Master Plumber 101 In the Trades

I don't why your inspector wants water above your overflow to test the rest of the drain piping. I would suggest disconnecting trap and putting a fernco cap on the drain line to the tub. Test out waste and overflow later by plugging tub until water goes into overflow.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

test

There are tub drain test kits which have screw on covers for both the overflow and tub strainer.