Triangle Tube Smart 40 Indirect Water Heater inconsistent temps

Users who are viewing this thread

tork

Reaction score
Greetings,

I have an eight year old Triangle Tube Smart 40 indirect water heater which had worked flawlessly.

Last year I replaced my 40 year old boiler with a new Burnham ES2 which was a fabulous money saving upgrade, but I've noticed my Smart 40 water temperatures are now inconsistent. Sometimes the water is the correct temp at, say, 130 degress F, but other times the water temp will spike to over 150 degrees.

I thought there must be an issue with the new boiler and the water heater. I asked the boiler installer about the water temp issue and he said it's not boiler related as all the zone valves are new, and are functioning properly.

Coincidence? Could be, so I replaced the t-stat in the Smart 40. Now I have to set the t-stat at the lowest possible setting to get 130F degree water, and as I said, sometimes the temp will spike to 150 degrees or above.

Any idea what the problem could be, or what I should check to try and get these inconsistent water temps under control?

Thanks!

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Sounds like the thermostat/aquastat (or it's sensing bulb) is either toast, or not properly placed in the dry well?

If you're into gambling that it's simply defective, it's a ~$50 part (internet pricing), but check your manual to know exactly which one.

You may or may not have discovered this document.

tork

Reaction score
Dana,

Thanks for taking the time to reply! The troubleshooting guide is just what I needed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks