Triangle Tube Prestige Excellence Boiler Use

Users who are viewing this thread

Offsite

Reaction score
Looking at a TT Prestige Excellence 110 Boiler with integral 14 gal indirect fired tank.

The cold water temp here is about 70 degrees, so, the unit's capacity would exceed 5 GPM under some conditions.

Has anyone installed this unit for Domestic Hot Water use.

The site is a 3 BR home (2 elderly residents) with measured flow rates shown in units of Gallons per Minute.

MB Shower - 0.91 (new low flow head installed)
MB North Sink - 1.20
Kitchen Sink - 1.76
West BR Tub - 4.29
West BR Shower - 0.94 (new low flow head installed)
West BR Sink - 1.30
East BR Tub - 4.29
East BR Shower - 0.93 (new low flow head installed)
East BR Sink - 1.29

Our actual usage is minimal: about 2 showers per day, bathtubs not in use, front loading washer.

Thanks!

-rb-

BadgerBoilerMN

Hydronic Heating Designer
Reaction score
Website
www.badgerboilerservice.com
The Excellence is a great idea, but should be sized first to the space heating load and then for the domestic hot water service. Properly sized to showers, big tubs and the number of bedrooms, but good point on the incoming water temperature.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Does the boiler cold fire when needed, or does it maintain a minimum temperature all year long - I don't know on that unit? A conventional external indirect is easier to repair or replace if it ever fails, and, with the proper boiler, may be more ecconomical. A good indirect won't need the boiler to fire except after drawing hot from it, and if those draws are grouped around the morning shower, may only need to fire once during the day. If the boiler stays hot all the time, that's a waste of energy.

BadgerBoilerMN

Hydronic Heating Designer
Reaction score
Website
www.badgerboilerservice.com
The Excellence is just that. Excellent. If it would fire at a lower minimum output and could be vented with 2 instead of 3" PVC -all that is really required- or with a nice concentric vent, I would install more of them, as they save space, fuel, improve comfort, are nearly silent in operation and save much in installation labor.

The built-in indirect water heater is perfect for a two shower home - no big tubs, but one standard tub - no problem. The indirect is built of stainless steel and will likely never leak. Built in circulator and Honeywell 3-way zone valve for domestic priority without the often unnecessary mandate for primary/secondary piping makes it one of my favorites for retrofit combi-systems.

Unfortunately, though the high efficiency condensing burner is nicely matched to the built-in indirect water heater, it is not necessarily the best match for every space heating application. I spend a full 50% of my time re-piping, changing radiation and controls for combi-heating systems that were designed by those without the necessary experience to assure the proper balance of both. In extreme cases entire boilers and water heaters have to be replaced with properly sized and piped systems.

I know I have said before, not a DIY project.

The addition of a tank vs. tank-less water heater has is it all over those Euro and Eastern rim tank-less water heaters of all kinds, as Americans do not live in 600sq.ft. nor take sponge baths at the sink. This unit will last longer, with less service and greater performance than any tank-less made today.

Sizing to the heating load - or building the load to the unit - is the key to success (perfect comfort and low fuel bills).

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks