Toto Drake vs. Ultramax

Users who are viewing this thread

markrv

Reaction score
Hi,

My wife and I are trying to decide between a Drake and an Ultramax for our master bath. The toilet would be ADA compliant and would be the oval bowl shape. While the Drake seems to beat the Ultramax on the quantity of material flushed (900 vs. 700 grams) the reviews for both seem to be good. Can you help us make the choice?

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
Really the only choice is do you want a 2piece Drake or a 1piece Ultramax.
Flushing wise you don't need to worry.

markrv

Reaction score
2 Piece or 1 Piece

Are there any advantages of one over the other?

Thanks.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The one piece is easier to clean is about the only real advantage of one over the other. After that, it's which do you like the appearance of and perhaps the price difference. Either one will work very well.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I bought and installed 2 one-piece Gwyneths. (I think the name has since been changed.)

(I highly recommend that model. Has the new double-cyclone bowl wash.)

The one-piece Gwyneth has a lower MaP score than the two-piece. I bought the one-piece anyway since I really prefer the clean look of the one-piece model. Have not had any trouble with it. As Terry says, any MaP over 500 is just fine.

Some don't like the one-piece models since they are a little harder to install (heavier). On the other hand, no joint between tank and bowl to potentially leak. Some Toto owners have had trouble tightening the tank-to-bowl bolts. Not a big deal, generally, but again, I prefer the one-piece anyway for aesthetic reasons and not having to mess with that connection is icing on the cake.

Reaction score
Price. You can get a Drake for about $160 less than the comparable Ultramax. I'm not knocking the Ultramax though. My in-laws have one and that is one reason I'm comfortable trying the Toto Eco-Drake. (I've got an Eco-Drake with Sanigloss ordered locally for about $260 before tax, elongated, but standard height.) The Eco-Drake is MaP rated at 600 in standard height, 900 in ADA. If I have any trouble with it as an HET, a flapper change will convert it to a standard Drake.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks