Toro Jar Top Solenoid Valve Installation

Users who are viewing this thread

k11

Reaction score
Hello: Great site with lots of good info! :)

We moved into a house with a Toro irrigation system. The valves installed are Toro jar top inline valves (53708) (see attached picture). Is there a trick to installing the solenoid. It screws in fine if I take out the solenoid plunger, but with the plunger in, the threads just don't make contact.

Attachments

• Toro Jar top inline valve (53708).jpg
    Toro Jar top inline valve (53708).jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 6,341

Mike1059

irrigation tech.
Reaction score
Website
www.mrhirrigation.com
It takes a little downward pressure to engage the threads because of the spring. Just be persistent and careful not to cross-thread the solenoid and you will get it in time. I know it's frustrating at times but almost all solenoids have the same trouble.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
K11,

I use the same valves in part of my system, and I have found that the plunger must be the exact type as belongs in that valve or else the threads won't engage. something with the length of the plunger I guess. I am not an irrigation tech, but over the years I have installed and replaced lots of Genie, and Toro valves and have gained lots of frustration and experience with them. I can't argue with a pro, but I am just posting from my experience. Any brand new toro Jartop valve I ever opened and re-assembled without losing or mixing up parts always went back together for me with no problem at all.

k11

Reaction score
I tried it again this morning and I still can't seem to get the threads to meet. The plunger is the original one that came out of the solenoid and I checked a good valve to make sure I was installing the parts correctly. (Had no problem re-installing the good one.):confused:

Is it possible that the solenoid is U/S? The system was working fine last year, but when I tried turning it on in the spring some were leaking, and I noticed they looked like they were slightly pushed out and seem to be cross threaded.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Then I guess they were not properly drained/winterized and ice damaged them. Normally, though, the valve body would crack, but it depends on where there was remaining water.

k11

Reaction score
We did blow out the system, but I think that the compressor we had may have been under powered for the job. I will try getting new solenoids and see how that goes. Thanks for the help!

Mike1059

irrigation tech.
Reaction score
Website
www.mrhirrigation.com
I just had to replace a solenoid in an older model toro jar-top valve today and found that the right one is the toro 89-0114. Although the toro catalog says a universal solenoid will work the book is wrong. I think this could be why your having problems getting the new solenoid to seat.

k11

Reaction score
The weird thing is that it is not a new solenoid. It's the same one that was in the valve last year when the system was working. I checked out the toro 89-0114, it looks a bit different than the one I have. Here are some pics.
solenoid.jpgsolenoid2.jpgjar-top-in-line-valve-(53708).jpg

k11

Reaction score
I will try installing it without the cap tomorrow. Right now it's dark and I will get eaten by mosquitoes. What is the cap suppose to do? They seem to break apart very easily.

k11

Reaction score
Just thought I would give a little update on my problem.
I finally got new solenoids and they installed easily. The old ones must have been damaged from freezing over the winter. (Will have to get a better compressor and do it right next time.) I had some valves that were stuck in the open position. From what I read, the Toro jar top valves are very sensitive to debris, so I took a bucket of water out with me, took them apart, and washed them. I had to wash one a couple times, but I did end up getting them to work properly.

Last edited: