TOO Short now

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by Dbwell2, Dec 11, 2005.

1. Dbwell2

Dbwell2 New Member

My daughters and I have been busy remodeling our bathroom. We have replaced the tub and retiled the tub surround. Everything BUT the valve handle is fitting fine with a few adjustments. We have installed a Jameco, one handle, tub and shower unit. It does work now without the escutcheon plate, but once it is installed it will not leave enough room for the faucet to operate properly. I have thought of a few solutions, but hoped someone else would have another.

Solution 1 - To chip away the tile enough to "embed" the plate.

Solution 2 - To try and fine a escutcheon plate that recesses into the wall and that will fit.

Solution 3 - Call a plumber and faint at the bill :eek:

I would appreciate any suggestions you may have. Thank you
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Some manufacturers offer extension plates/handles to account for valve not installed at the right depth. Have you checked the manufacturer's website or the instructions? Do you have access to the valve from the back side? Basically, you either need an extension or to move it closer to the finished side. Anything else will probably look pretty funky.
  3. Dbwell2

Dbwell2 New Member

TOO Short still

I haven't found a website for Jameco. I am going to call them tomorrow. Access from the back side difficult but may be possible if necessary. The dishwasher and cabinets back up to it. I thought maybe there would be another type of escutcheon plate that would recess a little into the wall that would work.

Thanks for your input.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

too short

If you have the proper sized opening in the wall, you may be able to unfasten the valve and shim it out to the proper location.
  5. Dbwell2

Dbwell2 New Member

Wouldn't I need a plumber for that? I had to have one come out so he could solder the new one in....How would it shim out? angles?
  6. Cass

Cass Plumber

Call the plumber.
  7. Dbwell2

Dbwell2 New Member

Still

I may have to do just that. I was hoping there would be another solution.

I appreciate your answers