Toilet for Flange 1/2'' above floor

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by fgiurini, Mar 7, 2006.

1. fgiurini

fgiurini New Member

I am having a bathroom remodeled with a concrete floor and the toilet flange will be about 1/2'' above the finished floor (Ceramic tile). I purchased a Toto Drake and the plumber I hired checked it and said it does not have enough clearance. I measured it an it appears about 3/8''. Does anyone have a recommendation for comperable toilet that has a higher clearance? I tried checking Toto's web site and this is one spec they do not give. :mad:
  2. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

I'm not a pro, but I don't believe such a thing exists. A flange is supposed to rest on top of the finished floor and be screwed to the subfloor. This is to allow the flange to seal with the wax ring, and to keep the toilet stationary by bolting it to the flange. Obviously, if the flange is not solidly secured to the floor, neither of these goals can be accomplished. Rather that trying to make the raised flange work, I would suggest you lower the flange to set on the floor.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

toilet

The days of the deep recess toilets is just about over. Most of the new ones have a very thin base, and since you want at least a minimum gap between the flange and toilet, you will either have to lower the flange or set the toilet on some kind of "shim" to raise it, leaving a gap between it and the floor. Unless you use one of the full size plastic "plates" that set on the floor and the toilet is placed on it.
  4. fgiurini

fgiurini New Member

HJ,

Do you know where I could get some info on the plastic base that the toilet sits on or any other shim device?

Gary, the flange is secured as it is part of the cast Iron pipe burried in 4-6 inches of concrete. If it was pvc and a plywood subfloor I would be able to easily change it so that the base of the flange sat flush on the finished floor. It just seems that I need about 1/4'' more clearance then the Toto Drake has. It looks like my old toilet with no visible brand name has about 9/16'' clearance.
  5. RRW

RRW New Member

How much actual clearance do you have? Or is it interference? If there is any clearance at all I would give one of the rubber sleeve type adapters a try before jacking up the toilet. Good Luck, RW