Replacing Back Outlet Toilet but mismatched flange

Users who are viewing this thread

JoelChan

Reaction score
Hi all,

First-time poster and never installed a toilet before so apologies if I'm using the wrong terminology. I am trying to replace an old American Standard toilet (4049-69) with a Gerber Viper GWS20022. The American Standard toilet has a flange hole ~3 inches while the Gerber Viper has a flange hole of 1 11/16 inches according to the specs. I think the vertical rough-in 4 1/4" in should be ok and the back part of the toilet (pictured below) seems to match in measurements so the only issue is the flange hole. Is this still possible to install? Any recommendations on how to address the big difference in hole size or do I need to return and find a better matching toilet?

Screenshot 2024-03-05 at 8.07.18 PM.png

Thanks for any help you can provide!
Joel

JoelChan

Reaction score
Thank you for the confirmation! I had one follow-up after checking. This Gerber toilet will be replacing an American Standard toilet. The bolts for the original American Standard toilet in place are 4" vs. the Gerber toilet at 4.25" for the rough-in height. Will this cause any issues?

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hard to say. Losing 1/4" below the toilet should be ok but they can end up very close to touching the floor. If you have a cut sheet of the toilet you should be able to see the dimension you'll need to verify there will be room.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks