Toilet Flange Help

Users who are viewing this thread

Plew

Reaction score
Hi,

I am currently working on tiling my bathroom floor and wanted to make sure I am going about the toilet flange correctly. I dry fit the tile and took a couple pictures of how the flange will fit once the floor is tiled. It doesn't seem quite right to me, should the flange fit tighter around the pipe?

I tried one of those flanges that has PVC that extends down into the pipe and stainless steel flange but the extension part wouldn't even come close to fitting into my pipe.

Thought? Am I going about this incorrectly?

Attachments

• IMAG0748.jpg
    IMAG0748.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 238
  • IMAG0747.jpg
    IMAG0747.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 207
  • IMAG0751.jpg
    IMAG0751.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 181

Reach4

Reaction score
Are we looking at cast iron or lead?

Plew

Reaction score
I don't know a lot about plumbing but i'd say lead since the pipe seems pretty soft.

2006.01.12.at.11.18.04.DSC06351.jpg

Added by Terry Love
Lead water closet arm with brass flange.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
I am thinking something like Fluidmaster Model # 7514 http://www.fluidmaster.com/our-prod...toilet-wax-bowl-extra-thick-flange-bolts.html I am hoping that the black part fits inside of the diameter of your pipe. While your setup is a little unusual, I predict it will seal fine.
7514_product_01_070111_clip_2.png

You need to drill for the mounting screws too. I hope that is not porcelain tile, because that is especially hard to drill. It doesn't look like it, but I think they can make porcelain tile look like different things. You need to get the orientation of the ring correct of course to put the closet bolts at the right places.

I am not a plumber or very experienced, so see if you get other suggestions.

Plew

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I found that a brass flange that fits over it better and I think it will seal well with a regular wax ring (pretty much the same as the one in your picture) and the brass flange.

The tiles are porcelain I plan on drilling the holes for the mounting screws with a diamond core bit. I tiled the tub surround with the same porcelain tiles and didn't have much trouble drilling through them with a similar bigger diamond core bit for the pipe protrusions. Just need to keep the bit cool with water as I drill.

Reach4

Reaction score
The seal you need is between the pipe and the toilet. You are not looking for a seal between the toilet and the ring.

That drilling needs you to build a little dam around the hole to hold the cooling water.

Reach4

Reaction score
If he could roll the lead without splitting it, that would make a good seal even without soldering. That may be hard.

Plew

Reaction score
I ended up going with a happy medium. I have done some soldering of copper pipe connections and am pretty comfortable doing that but soldering the lead pipe to the brass flange looked like a risky job for my soldering capabilities. What I ended up doing is rolling the lead to the brass flange and then sealing the lead to the flange with Oatey's Hurcules Plastic Seal. So far so good, hopefully this won't come back to bite me but if it does I can handle it then.

Attachments

• IMAG0758.jpg
    IMAG0758.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 155
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks