Toilet flange height with tile

Users who are viewing this thread

Carla C

Reaction score
Hi, thanks for your forum, I am a new member.

We are renovating bathrooms, and had a plumber do the rough plumbing. We have 2x6 car decking subfloor, and he installed toilet flanges (new) and set them onto the subfloor. Now it seems it would have been better to just stub out the pipe, so I could later set the flange on top of the finished floor? I am wondering what is normal to expect with rough in plumbing?

I will be installing a tile floor, on top of 1/2" ACX and Schluter Ditra. I installed the plywood by cutting around the flange, but now I am second guessing myself and wondering if we really need to remove the (new) flange and install a flange at proper height when the floor is done? Which means installing new plywood that would run under the flange.

I would love to not have to go backwards, but want to do it right.

Thanks for your advice.

Attachments

• IMG_6631.JPG
    IMG_6631.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 1,358

Carla C

Reaction score
Reach4, not looking for blame, but I would like to know what the normal plumbing practice is for rough in, so if I want something different I know I should specify it.

Reach4

Reaction score
Reach4, not looking for blame, but I would like to know what the normal plumbing practice is for rough in, so if I want something different I know I should specify it.
It depends on what you call normal. What you have is common, but not ideal.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Toilet flanges get done wrong all the time, but there's a fix for every one of them. Lot of people stub up a four inch pipe from a closet el ( the drain pipe is three inch but the elbow turns up and becomes a 4 inch socket with 4in pipe glued into it, and sticks up through the floor.) That's my preferred way of doing it. The tile genius tiles up to the 4 inch pipe, grouts it, then the plumber comes in and saws the pipe off flush with the tile. The 4inch allows for a toilet flange which will glue down into the inside of the pipe and sit up on top of the tile. Other folks may have a different method, but that works best for me.

Carla C

Reaction score
Toilet flanges get done wrong all the time, but there's a fix for every one of them. Lot of people stub up a four inch pipe from a closet el ( the drain pipe is three inch but the elbow turns up and becomes a 4 inch socket with 4in pipe glued into it, and sticks up through the floor.) That's my preferred way of doing it. The tile genius tiles up to the 4 inch pipe, grouts it, then the plumber comes in and saws the pipe off flush with the tile. The 4inch allows for a toilet flange which will glue down into the inside of the pipe and sit up on top of the tile. Other folks may have a different method, but that works best for me.

Thank you, that sounds like a much better way to do it. I have a second bathroom in this renovation that I haven't started on yet. The toilet flange is the same way, set onto the car decking subfloor. Is it worth redoing it? The crawl space underneath is not easily accessible, it's shallow and the heat pump is just on the other side of a nearby wall and that area is full of snaking ductwork.

Do plumbers ever do it that way on their own, or do you generally need to specify it? Our plumber did ask me what kind of floor I was putting in before setting the flange this way, so I'm confused why he even asked me if he didn't set it up to accommodate the tile.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks