Toilet Drain Location

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by Wally3433, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Wally3433

Wally3433 New Member

I am remodeling my bathroom. We are going to re-install our existing toilet, but down the road we would like to upgrade to a new one.

Is there a standard offset distance from the center of the toilet drain to the edge of the finished wall - or does this vary widely from toilet to toilet?

Most of the larger toilets I see appear to have the same distance from drain to wall, but wanted to confirm this.

I am trying to determine if I need to adjust the distance now as opposed later.
  2. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Yes. The standard rough-in space is 12". Every toilet manufacturer make them that size. You can get a 10" or a 14" toilet, there are less choices in models in those two sizes. The distance is measured from the center of the drain to the finished wall. Note that many 12" toilets can be installed closer to to the wall, but stay with a 12" and you're good to go.
  3. Wally3433

Wally3433 New Member

This is good news to me. Thanks. Now, I hope my existing distance is 12"
  4. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

If it is little shy, come on back with the exact measurement. Terry can tell you to a fraction of an inch the actual space you need, especially for Toto toilets. It seems rough-in sizes never exceed their listed space requirement, but often you can get by with up to 1/2" or so less. It's not an exact science.