Tie hip roof into valley roof

Users who are viewing this thread

dschex

Reaction score
so right now i have a back patio that is on an interior right angle of our house. The roof forms a valley in that corner. I want to extend a hip roof from that valley out to cover my patio but want it to be squared off (if i used a level ridge, it would form a gable or hip at 45° in correlation to my house. i am having trouble finding this example in pictures or plans anywhere on the internet. does anyone have an example or experience doing something like this?

Attachments

• SnipImage.JPG
    SnipImage.JPG
    19.7 KB · Views: 1,179
Reaction score
Website
www.texastracthometrades.com
I can sort of see it in my mind.

A hip roof and a valley roof are corners. The hip is an outside corner and the valley is an inside corner. And they both have a pitch.

Your new hip would start where the original valley terminates at the original fascia board. So, your new roof would be lower than the existing? And the fascia board would be very low?

I learned how to frame on a custom builder/remodeler crew and we did some far out things that I couldn’t even see until we got going on it.

dschex

Reaction score
no, i would be tying into the roof well above the soffit / fascia level, it would just be tying into a valley. think of a hip roof corner coming right out of a valley corner. when finished, they fascia board of the add on would be the same height as the fascia board of the existing house. the attached before and after show somewhat of what im trying to accomplish

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks