Think I have an air-lock in a basement tap ... how do I clear it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Johnny-Canuck

Reaction score
As part of a different issue, I totally drained my hot water tank from it's drain tap. (I just ran a hose from its drain to a tub on the floor above). After I did this, all the taps in the house worked normally, except for a basement workroom work tub that was relatively close to the hot water tank.

From the water tank area, the 2 water supply pipes for the tap run through the basement ceiling stud area for about 4', make a 90 degree turn and run for about another 2', then finally make a 90 degree drop down to the problem tap.

I don't have any spots in these 2 lines that I can see I might be able to drain them.

I've tried closing the main house supply, opening all the taps in the house & flushing the toilets till everything stopped. Then opening the supply at the main again and then closing all the taps from the basement then up to the 1st & finally 2nd floor. I expected this might correct the problem but it didn't.

Any suggestions?

If I shutoff the supply at the MAIN and I remove the 2 valve stems at the tap is there something I can do from this side of the copper pipes? Try to force water into them? Try to use a vacuum to suck something out of them (air? water?). Would this do anything?

Attachments

• WORKROOM taps.jpg
    WORKROOM taps.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 99

Reach4

Reaction score
What symptoms are you trying to address? I think air lock in a pressurized supply line is not a thing.

Johnny-Canuck

Reaction score
What symptoms are you trying to address? I think air lock in a pressurized supply line is not a thing.

Sorry about that :oops:. It would been helpful if had described the symptom. The problem I have is that I can no longer get any water flow (hot or cold) when I open the taps. They were working normally before I did the "drain the tank to fill the tub" procedure I described.

HudsonDIY

Reaction score
Seems more likely to me that draining the water heater might have stirred up some sediments which got into the closest faucet. Have you tried removing that aerator to see if its plugged up with garbage?

Johnny-Canuck

Reaction score
Thanks James Henry ... do I ever feel stupid now :mad:. I've been fussing with this problem for 3 days now. Your comment managed to remind a senior (that's the excuse I'll claim) that the Sprayer has a little shutoff latch on it. As soon as I saw your post I went to the basement, flipped the latch to it's Open position and I'm in business again. Thanks !!!!!!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks