The worlds best sewer tools and equipment !

Users who are viewing this thread

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Hey Jerry I heard that their battery powered Pony and Stallion have all kinds of torque over the AC powered units..

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes they do if you hook up a 1065 to a STALLION battery model with the 1065 running it will stop the 1065 and make it run backwards,
and the battery powered COLT can run a week snaking drains on one charge !

Last edited by a moderator:

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Trojan battery powered machines are missing something that you cannot run any other machine without
extension cords !
So when you are up to your ankles in sewer water, there is no grounded plug around,
or you just want to save time setting up and reloading your equipment
Trojan stallion or colt is the way to go !

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I bought my PowerSnake in 1975 for about $1,500 with 3 drums and cables. I just replaced its frame because the motor mount finally rusted off, and I have only replaced about 5 cables, so my amortization costs are very low, particularly since I charge a fee every time I use it. Other companies now have their own versions which look just like mine.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I bought my PowerSnake in 1975 for about $1,500 with 3 drums and cables. I just replaced its frame because the motor mount finally rusted off, and I have only replaced about 5 cables, so my amortization costs are very low, particularly since I charge a fee every time I use it. Other companies now have their own versions which look just like mine.

At 7 years service life to a cable I guess it's safe to assume you aren't keeping the machine really busy with work...

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
at 7 years service life to a cable i guess it's safe to assume you aren't keeping the machine really busy with work...

Yes professional plumbers that do drain cleaning for a living and not as a sideline when
nothing else is happening run approx 5 to 10 drains a day and the best are lucky to get a
year or so out of a main line cable before it becomes too soft or worn out !
I am sad to say I do not see any one using a power snake that much when there are better
designed drain cleaning machines with power cable feeds etc. That Williams does not
have and by the way I have their current catalog in front of me
I believe in knowing not only the products I sell but also what others are selling also !

Last edited by a moderator:

AssTyme

Plumber
Reaction score
Yes professional plumbers that do drain cleaning for a living and not as a sideline when
nothing else is happening run approx 5 to 10 drains a day and the best are lucky to get a
year or so out of a main line cable before it becomes too soft or worn out !
I am sad to say I do not see any one using a power snake that much when there are better
designed drain cleaning machines with power cable feeds etc. That Williams does not
have and by the way I have their current catalog in front of me
I believe in knowing not only the products I sell but also what others are selling also !

You would be a very busy boy doing 5 - 10 main line jobs every day ! Hard to believe one could make a main line cable last one year with 2500+ jobs.

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
It is fairly easy to do that many calls a day when you are working at a drain cleaning

service company only, with 24 hour a day 7 days a week on call service times !

As for example Roto Rooter was back in the old days of the 70's and before

and if you are a true drain professional you know how to take care of your machines

as while as your cables after all they are your bread and butter !

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I do not abuse my cables. But I do not consider sewer and drain cleaning my "bread and butter". If all I did was sewers and drains, then I might do 10 a day, but then I would not do the other things which really pay my bills.

AssTyme

Plumber
Reaction score
I do not abuse my cables. But I do not consider sewer and drain cleaning my "bread and butter". If all I did was sewers and drains, then I might do 10 a day, but then I would not do the other things which really pay my bills.

I think 10 drain calls a day would pay most anybodies bills ???

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Not when the other calls are more profitable. I am a plumber who does drain cleaning, NOT a drain cleaner who does plumbing. And they have to be very minor drain jobs to do 10 in a day. The guys doing 10 a day are usually charging $59.99, or less, a drain. My MINIMUM is twice that and the one I did this morning ran $650.00.

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
I used to charge twice that and still managed to do 10 or more drain calls a day and yes some of them were easy but again some of them were more time consuming and i only got four or
five calls done those days,
i have also spent two or more days working on the same drain problem which evolved
digging and either repair or replacing the complete sewer line, for example one time
280' x 6" clay sewer main for a 400 unit apartment complex.

And yes i am also a MASTER PLUMBER who does drains but I also know and respect the
man and women who only do drain work for a living !

Hairyhosebib

Reaction score
I am curious if your company has a urinal auger like the one General Wire makes? It sure would be nice if some company would make one so that it is attached to a leader like a Marco toilet auger and would have a removable head so that essentially the cables could be hooked together so that it could go further down the line once the cable has cleared the trap.

I am also curious about the idea of joining say, 10 ft lengths of cables together instead of a 100 ft. You could make the cable as long as you wanted within reason. If you kink a section you would only have to replace a section. I would prefer the snap lock. The one thing I don't like about a Spartan is they use roll pins to join cables and heads. I am not a fan of Ridgid at all, they use a quarter turn screw to join cables and heads. They are not a very good machine at all. This is the choice of the day shift plumbing shop at ASU. You should see all the machines setting around with tags on them in an un operable condition. It does not help that there are 15 guys that don't care how they are taken care of either. On the night shift I finally got my boss to buy a Spartan 100, 1065 and a 2001.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
ANY cable connection is a potential failure point, which is why I NEVER even consider a sectional cable. Besides the need to have an "elephant trunk" sticking out behind it to control the cable. I have had my current cables for over 10 years, proper use will usually prevent any damage to them. My PowerSnake also uses roll pins, but they may be the safest way to connect cables and heads together. Bolts and "snap pins" can self disengage, or break, under the right conditions.

Last edited:

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
The worlds best cameras for sewer and drain work

Trojan_logo
ColtPonyStallionBattery Operated MachinesCablesJetter HoseJet MachinesCamera Systems
Home
Contact Us
Catalog

TROJAN CAMERA SYSTEMS

Mini Camera

Mini Camera System

1-1/2" - 3" Lines

7/8" Camera Head

7" LCD w/DVR

Fiberglass Push Rod and Stainless Steel Reel

Remote Control for Monitor

Records to any USB Flash Drive or Laptop

Optional: Built in 512 Hz Transmitter and Microphone for Recording

Model# C65-DVR - 65' of Push Rod

Model# C98-DVR - 98' of Push Rod

Model# C130-DVR - 130' of Push Rod

Trojan Color Camera System

Camera System

Model# C190-DVR

3"- 8" Lines

1-1/2" Self Leveling Camera Head

190" of 3/8" Push Rod with Stainless Steel Reel

10" LCD w/ DVR and Built in Microphone for Voice Recording

Color Camera System DVR

Camera System

Model# C380-DVR

3"- 10" Lines

1-1/2" Self Leveling Camera Head

Foot Counter

300' of 1/2" Push Rod

10" LCD w/ DVR with Built in Microphone for Voice Recording

Borescope

Video Borescope

Model# VBS36

3' Flexible Shaft with Color Camera Head

White LED Lights with Brightness Control

Records to any SD Card (up to 32GB) or USB Flash Drive

locator sonde

Locator and Sonde

Model# RD - Digital Locator - 512 Hz

Model# SD - Sonde - Optional Attachment to connect on end of Push Rod in Place of Camera Head

Model# RDLS - Digital Locator and Sonde

Sales Policy I Terms and Conditions I Privacy Policy

This site is designed and maintained by Trojan Worldwide, Inc.
Copyright 2009. All rights reserved.
Revised: August 14, 2010

freeflow

Semi retired master plumber
Reaction score
I have taken a 100 machine up on thousands of roofs even two story ones when needed !

I could break down a 300 machine carry on roof put back together and power snake a

main line though roof vent and take back to truck in a 1 hr to 1 1/2 hrs. All day long

the 1065 you run from the ground up over the top rung of the ladder either with one or two men !
I have run millions of drains all over so. Calif. And the northwest pacific for more then

30 years !
That was when we were young and bold , now we old and our nuts and backs are cold , thinking about taking a my tanna m661 in one piece(after 45 yo I wised up and took it apart) and up on a roof makes me sweat in my sleep

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
So shoot me some prices on a 100' color camera that can record to my laptop and I can use my laptop as the monitor. I would also need a locator and the camera would need to have a sonde.

I might even could come get it and see it work first. A business trip to Houston sounds good to me.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; I have run millions of drains all over so. Calif. And the northwest pacific for more then

30 years !

Figuring a 200 day work year, just doing one million works out to about 170 drains a day. You must be exhausted.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks