Test question for you pro's.....

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by Randyj, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Randyj

Randyj Master Plumber

I'm doing mental gymnastics thinking about this well pump, pressure, feet of head, etc.

If 10 gpm yields 600 gph then how many square feet of lawn will be covered with 1" of water in one hour?
  2. Rancher

Rancher Guest

7.48 gallons per cubic foot, divide by 12 equals .623 gallons per square foot, 1 inch deep, divided into 600 is 962.5 square feet or about a 31' by 31' lawn.

Rancher
  3. Randyj

Randyj Master Plumber

Thanks!... easy to remember...the same size as the floor space in the little house I'm building...so 10 gpm would flood my floor with 1" of water in one hour...
  4. rshackleford

rshackleford New Member

yeah, but how many acre feet would that be?
  5. Rancher

Rancher Guest

0.00184132996632996632996632996633 acre-feet

Rancher
  6. speedbump

speedbump Previous member

Did you do that longhand Rancher???
  7. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

acre feet

A cubic foot of water is 7.48 gallon, An acre foot is 43560 square feet. Do the math.
  8. Rancher

Rancher Guest

I hate math, I guessed. And I figured nobody would call me on it.

And an acre foot is 43560 square feet, one foot deep, i.e. 43560 cubic feet.

Rancher
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2007
  9. rshackleford

rshackleford New Member

how about in miner's inches?
  10. Bob NH

Bob NH In the Trades

A Miner's inch is not a unit of volume; it is a flow rate. It depends on where you are and has been established by law in several states.

In Arizona, California, Montana, Nevada, and Oregon it is 11.22 GPM, but by general practice (not law) in Southern California it is 9 GPM.

In Idaho, Kansas, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Dakota, South Dakota, and Utah it is 8.98 GPM.

In Colorado it is 11.69 GPM.

Reference: Colt Industries Hydraulic Handbook (1971)

From Wikipedia:
    miner's inch (′mīn·ərz ′inch)
    (mining engineering) The quantity of water that will escape from an aperture 1 inch (2.54 centimeter) square through a 2-inch-thick (5.08-centimeter) plank, with a steady flow of water standing 6 inches (15.24 centimeters) above the top of the escape aperture, the quantity so discharged amounting to 2274 cubic feet (64.39 cubic meters) in 24 hours.
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2007
  11. rshackleford

rshackleford New Member

so there are about 40 miner's inches in a cfs?
  12. Bob NH

Bob NH In the Trades

Yes; in Arizona, California, Montana, Nevada, and Oregon where a Miner's inch is 11.22 GPM.