Test question for you pro's.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I'm doing mental gymnastics thinking about this well pump, pressure, feet of head, etc.

If 10 gpm yields 600 gph then how many square feet of lawn will be covered with 1" of water in one hour?

R

Rancher

7.48 gallons per cubic foot, divide by 12 equals .623 gallons per square foot, 1 inch deep, divided into 600 is 962.5 square feet or about a 31' by 31' lawn.

Rancher

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Thanks!... easy to remember...the same size as the floor space in the little house I'm building...so 10 gpm would flood my floor with 1" of water in one hour...

R

Rancher

I hate math, I guessed. And I figured nobody would call me on it.

And an acre foot is 43560 square feet, one foot deep, i.e. 43560 cubic feet.

Rancher

Last edited by a moderator:

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
rshackleford said:
how about in miner's inches?

A Miner's inch is not a unit of volume; it is a flow rate. It depends on where you are and has been established by law in several states.

In Arizona, California, Montana, Nevada, and Oregon it is 11.22 GPM, but by general practice (not law) in Southern California it is 9 GPM.

In Idaho, Kansas, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Dakota, South Dakota, and Utah it is 8.98 GPM.

In Colorado it is 11.69 GPM.

Reference: Colt Industries Hydraulic Handbook (1971)

From Wikipedia:
miner's inch (′mīn·ərz ′inch)
(mining engineering) The quantity of water that will escape from an aperture 1 inch (2.54 centimeter) square through a 2-inch-thick (5.08-centimeter) plank, with a steady flow of water standing 6 inches (15.24 centimeters) above the top of the escape aperture, the quantity so discharged amounting to 2274 cubic feet (64.39 cubic meters) in 24 hours.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks