Tee suggestions on water line from meter

Users who are viewing this thread

Midwest DIY'r

Reaction score
Getting ready to run about 900' feet of 1.5" SDR 9 250 PSI CTS PE pipe from the meter to a future house site. I will need to tee off the main line for a couple pasture hydrants and looking at my options. I was looking at pack joint fittings and the prices are incredibly high on these components, do I have other options or is that about it for underground CTS pipe connections?

Reach4

Reaction score
If you did not yet buy the pipe, SIDR pipe lets you use inexpensive barbed fittings. It is larger for a given nominal size.

Midwest DIY'r

Reaction score
If you did not yet buy the pipe, SIDR pipe lets you use inexpensive barbed fittings. It is larger for a given nominal size.

Yeah I was considering that, the SIDR pipe is a bit more expensive but the fittings are significantly cheaper. Is one considered superior over the other? The county water guy mentioned they like CTS connections....but they also have a seemingly bottomless budget.

Midwest DIY'r

Reaction score
Additionally, I found a HDPE ID size chart and it looks like I could use 1 1/4" SIDR vs 1.5" CTS as the ID on the SIDR is larger. Thoughts?

1708721103405.png

Reach4

Reaction score
While they don't service or deliver to your area, you might find https://www.menards.com/main/search.html?search=sidr of interest. Note however that the listed prices are after non-cash rebate, so when comparing prices, back that out.

I only present that link as a place where you can get an idea what is pretty readily available, and should be useful for budgetary use.

Midwest DIY'r

Reaction score
While they don't service or deliver to your area, you might find https://www.menards.com/main/search.html?search=sidr of interest. Note however that the listed prices are after non-cash rebate, so when comparing prices, back that out.

I only present that link as a place where you can get an idea what is pretty readily available, and should be useful for budgetary use.

Thanks, we still reside in the Midwest and I have actually hauled Menards materials to our NC build site as the prices are availability are sometimes better than our local NC options. What are your thoughts on the SIDR pipe vs CTS pipe and fittings?

Reach4

Reaction score
You had already identified what I see as the main differences. I am familiar with SIDR. I think SIDR is what is usually used in well work. When you use SIDR as a drop pipe, you use an extra-long fitting on the top, and use 3 stainless worm gear clamps, at least on the top, which carries the extra weight.

I don't do my own well work, and my drop pipe is schedule 80 PVC.

I am not so familiar with CTS poly. It has fans.

When you bury poly pipe, do not pull it tight. Let it snake in the trench to allow for thermal contraction or expansion.

Midwest DIY'r

Reaction score
You had already identified what I see as the main differences. I am familiar with SIDR. I think SIDR is what is usually used in well work. When you use SIDR as a drop pipe, you use an extra-long fitting on the top, and use 3 stainless worm gear clamps, at least on the top, which carries the extra weight.

I don't do my own well work, and my drop pipe is schedule 80 PVC.

I am not so familiar with CTS poly. It has fans.

When you bury poly pipe, do not pull it tight. Let it snake in the trench to allow for thermal contraction or expansion.

Gotcha, thanks for the insight and response.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks