Symmons water pressure spindle

Users who are viewing this thread

Sym

Reaction score
Is there a plumber knowledgeable in Symmons valves? My Symmons valve is NOT old, water pressure spindle started leaking, I replaced it, and got drop in water pressure. Bought a new one, replaced it too, now have no water at all.

Their customer service is useless, not speaking that they don't pick up the phone and call at their convenience right before my business call. Now looks like I have to replace the whole valve, and never touch anything called Symmons again, and tell everyone not to do so, as you will be stuck with this pricey mess.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
You should never have to replace the valve.
I am not a fan of Symmons but have installed many.
Integral stops? Maybe one side isn't opened, or balancing spool is stuck.

Sym

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply.

No Integral stops on my model. No sediment, and no problem with the main TA-10 spindle.

Marlinman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Did you install the gray spindle or black? They have different functions one being diverter and the other being volume. Iv'e been using Symmons for over 30 years. Every year or so I will swap a rebuilt TA-10 for the one in operation and rebuild it for the next time I need it.

Attachments

• Temptrol parts-compressed.pdf
    751.1 KB · Views: 106

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
With integral stops, we can watch the flow from each side and deduce where an issue might be.
In your case, you'll need to have another person to be at the water main valve for cold, and then the water heater for hot.
My guess is a clogged pathway from debris, in which case it is not the mfr's fault.
Good luck, let us know what happens.

Vtxrider

Reaction score
Is there a chance the valve be worn from hard water? Mostly on the cold side. It seems with the spindle remove i can see the cold side inlet. Compared to the hot side it's far larger. I've got well water and the valve is original about 40 years pld.

Sym

Reaction score
For those who are curious about what happened: when I was replacing the black cartridge, it disintegrated, pieces fell down the pipe and clogged the diverter valve, which was working fine before.
Great thanks for an advice to find a plumber specializing in Symmons valves.
There are 2 types of diverters at Symmons: 1) built-in into a main valve with a small white cartridge, looking close to a black cartridge; 2) large separate diverter valve, Model 55-458-STN, the cartridge is huge, and can not be confused with a small black cartridge.