Switched outlet

Users who are viewing this thread

sixtz4me

Reaction score
Hey guys, I want to switch an outlet, but want the top and bottom both to be switched. Do I just leave the bar between the screws , or is there another way? Thanks, Bill

Drewski123

Reaction score
What's the proper way to wire 2 outlets where their bottoms are switched? I have 12-2 power in to the first outlet. Here I am debating which wire to use, 12-2 or 12-3 becuase the next box is a switch. After the switch, next is the second outlet. The second outlet is the end of the circuit. Is it possible to ommit the 12-3 wire and go with 12-2 from the switch to the second outlet?
Thanks for your help.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If you have 12/2 to the first outlet, then its "bottom outlet" is NOT switched. You only need 12/2 to the switch, but IF you want to ONLY switch the bottom half of the second outlet, you WILL need a 12/3 wire, but this is the kind of installation which is so "elementary" that if you even had to ask the question, it might NOT be a good DIY project for you.

Drewski123

Reaction score
hj, could you check the image and let me know if there is anything wrong with it? The plan is to have the bottom half of the two receptacales switched.

Thank you.
Drew

Attachments

• switched_outlet_to_switch_to_switched_outlet.jpg
    switched_outlet_to_switch_to_switched_outlet.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 1,052

Bluebinky

Reaction score
Another thing to consider is box fill. It is based on the size and number of wires entering the box plus the volume taken by the device. Many single-gang boxes are too small to do a a switched+hot setup like this.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The wiring will work.

To add to what bluebinky said, make sure the receptacles you install are 15A if you are using 14 ga. wire. The receptacles in your picture are 20A, which would be incorrect.

Drewski123

Reaction score
Thank you all. I forgot to mention, I could not find a better picture/diagram, so I found one with 14-2, 14-3 wiring. But in my case, I will be using 12-2 & 12-3. In terms of box fill, the first and the third box (outlet boxes) allow to have 8 conductors in each. The switch will be located in a 3 gang box with some other 2 switches (14-2 wiring) and the two other switches will be on its own supply.

Bluebinky

Reaction score
Thank you all. I forgot to mention, I could not find a better picture/diagram, so I found one with 14-2, 14-3 wiring. But in my case, I will be using 12-2 & 12-3. In terms of box fill, the first and the third box (outlet boxes) allow to have 8 conductors in each. The switch will be located in a 3 gang box with some other 2 switches (14-2 wiring) and the two other switches will be on its own supply.
OK, assuming #12 with no internal clamps:
2 - white
2 - black
1 - red
1 - ground
2 - switch
-------------
8 conductors X 2.25 ==> 18 cubic in box minimum

For me, thats just too crowded -- I'd go with a 4-square box + mud ring (not that I'd be able to make a living the way I do things...).

Also, make sure you do not tie the neutrals from both circuits together...

Last edited:

Drewski123

Reaction score
Thanks Bluebinky. The two single gang boxes that I am using are 20 cubic, so slightly more than going with 18 cubic boxes. I may go with a 4-square box + mud ring for at least the first box. In terms of the neutrals, do you mean not to tie the neutrals from the two outlets in the 3 gang box (center box) with the other two switches that will be running on a different circuit? If that's what you are saying, my ansear is, the neutrals will not be tied together.
Thanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks