I bought a wall light I wanted to operate from a switch but it has a rotary control

Users who are viewing this thread

James23912

Reaction score
So I bought two cheap wall lights that I planned to hook to a wall switch but now i find that they are operated by a rotary switch on the light, so can I just wire it and leave the rotary switch on and use the wall switch to turn it on and off? Kind of dumb, I know.

Afjes

Reaction score
Yes, leaving the on-board switch in the "On" position would be ok.
My concern would be that you used the term "cheap" wall lights.
I would check to see if they have a "UL" rating marking on them before installing them. Many cheap lights you buy off of Amazon for example are not "UL" rated.
If the lights do not have a self-contained wiring compartment you will have to install an electrical box in the wall cavity first and then install the light in the box.

James23912

Reaction score
Hi thanks, that's a relief. I bought the lights at lowes so I assume they are ok, but I have got boxes set in the walls, I did the inside wiring on the house, not the panel and meter stuff, so I am hopefully good to go, thanks again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks