Surge Supression Outlets

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by chefwong, Mar 24, 2012.

1. chefwong

chefwong New Member

Are the Surge Supression Outlets worth any $$$ or are they more a marketing gimmick ?

Been thinking about replacing the outlets I have that are behind my flat panel televisions.
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

The judge of value comes with increased quantity of joules of energy it can absorb and the speed with which it can react to the noise/surge spikes. I tend to use stand-alone boxes rather than an in-wall receptacle since you tend to need multiple things plugged in anyway and would need a power strip. There are some quite good units out there, and some look like a component rather than just a big power strip. I've also got one wired in at my power panel that helps with the more mundane things in the house. Keep in mind that more and more things have SS devices in them from p/s to other electronics, including your stove, frig, microwave, etc. It helps to protect them as well at th epower panel. If you want to go even better, you get a sine-wave UPS, and connect everything to them. These only use the line voltage to keep the battery(s) charged - all of the power is generated in the box for the load. This is probably the most expensive option, though.

I like the flexibility of a plug-in device, it's easier to change or upgrade should it need it down the road. The wired stuff rarely goes on sale, but the plug-in stuff often does.
  3. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

Surge suppression should be done as close to the source of the surge as possible. In the case of electrical outlets, that would be at or near the building entrance. Whole house protectors on the panel are a good idea.

Additionally, all other sources such as telephone and cable TV should have entrance protection.
  4. chefwong

chefwong New Member

I don't have one at the panel - no do I have the space......
    Most of the important stuff have either a UPS/surge on it.

It's only the *hung tv's* with the outlet right behind them that I'm looking it.
  5. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

6. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

There was enough room behind my wall-hung plasma to use a plug-in suppressor. Something like this might work out for you...http://www.panamax.com/Products/Other/M2A20.php#tab_spec especially if you have one on the panel as well.

The one I have on my panel (should) have two breakers, or a dual so that it connects to both legs. In a pinch, you could put it on an existing circuit, but the instructions say to install it on it's own dedicated breaker(s). But, once it's wired into the panel, it does protect everything up to its ability as long as the breaker isn't turned off!
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  7. DonL

DonL Jack of all trades Master of one

AC Outlet mount with Coax surge protection

Most newer electronics have built in surge protection.

If you want some additional protection, then something like this would work.

28-11106.jpg

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/28-11106