Surge Supression Outlets

Users who are viewing this thread

Chefwong

Reaction score
Are the Surge Supression Outlets worth any $$$ or are they more a marketing gimmick ?

Been thinking about replacing the outlets I have that are behind my flat panel televisions.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The judge of value comes with increased quantity of joules of energy it can absorb and the speed with which it can react to the noise/surge spikes. I tend to use stand-alone boxes rather than an in-wall receptacle since you tend to need multiple things plugged in anyway and would need a power strip. There are some quite good units out there, and some look like a component rather than just a big power strip. I've also got one wired in at my power panel that helps with the more mundane things in the house. Keep in mind that more and more things have SS devices in them from p/s to other electronics, including your stove, frig, microwave, etc. It helps to protect them as well at th epower panel. If you want to go even better, you get a sine-wave UPS, and connect everything to them. These only use the line voltage to keep the battery(s) charged - all of the power is generated in the box for the load. This is probably the most expensive option, though.

I like the flexibility of a plug-in device, it's easier to change or upgrade should it need it down the road. The wired stuff rarely goes on sale, but the plug-in stuff often does.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Surge suppression should be done as close to the source of the surge as possible. In the case of electrical outlets, that would be at or near the building entrance. Whole house protectors on the panel are a good idea.

Additionally, all other sources such as telephone and cable TV should have entrance protection.

Chefwong

Reaction score
I don't have one at the panel - no do I have the space......
Most of the important stuff have either a UPS/surge on it.

It's only the *hung tv's* with the outlet right behind them that I'm looking it.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There was enough room behind my wall-hung plasma to use a plug-in suppressor. Something like this might work out for you...http://www.panamax.com/Products/Other/M2A20.php#tab_spec especially if you have one on the panel as well.

The one I have on my panel (should) have two breakers, or a dual so that it connects to both legs. In a pinch, you could put it on an existing circuit, but the instructions say to install it on it's own dedicated breaker(s). But, once it's wired into the panel, it does protect everything up to its ability as long as the breaker isn't turned off!

Last edited:

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
AC Outlet mount with Coax surge protection

I don't have one at the panel - no do I have the space......
Most of the important stuff have either a UPS/surge on it.

It's only the *hung tv's* with the outlet right behind them that I'm looking it.

Most newer electronics have built in surge protection.

If you want some additional protection, then something like this would work.

28-11106.jpg

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/28-11106

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks