Supporting copper pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I am roughing in a toilet supply line for a toilet that I may one day install in my basement.

I am a little stuck.

My problem is how to support the copper pipe adequately.

Since I am using metal studs I must be careful. On vertical runs between studs I am adding metal headers, and running the pipe through that using grommets. On the horizontal runs through the studs I am also using grommets.

But I have no support for the pipe section coming out of the wall to the toilet, so there will be a bit of backward and forward movement on this piece. Does this matter, or will the rest of the support hold this once everything is soldered in place?

I am using a brass nipple coming out of the wall which I assume does not matter if it comes in direct contact with a metal stud.

I cannot use perforated copper strap which would normally attach copper stubs to wooden studs on the section that pops through the wall for several reasons.

First I doubt it would accomodate the nipple. And second if I attached it to the copper pipe I would have the galvainzed copper reaction I am so desperately trying to avoid.

Help.

Last edited:

Iminaquagmire

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
can you attach wood to the studs like you would in a door frame and then secure the pipe to that? Maybe attach a piece of plywood in between the studs and then use a clip off off that. If you're going to use a nipple you can use a drop ear elbow. If you can't, its not a big deal.

pipe-insulators.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
connection

Copper to iron is only a problem when there is water involved, (but not water inside the pipe), and even then any deterioration would be the steel not the copper. But a section of 2x4 between the studs will give you a mounting surface.