Sump pump wont start

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by pumpnewbie, Mar 15, 2013.

1. pumpnewbie

pumpnewbie New Member

Yesterday I used my Liberty sump pump model s35 (spec sheet: http://www.paulsupply.com/files/LibertyS35.pdf )
    and it was working great. I had plugged it manually and forgot. About 4 hours later, I remembered that the pump was still powered on. The water had been completely drained and I think that the pump had been still running for about 3 hours or so thereafter with no water left. I noticed that the motor had stopped. I tried to re-plug it to restart but it wont start. I waited some hours because it has thermal protection but it still wont start.
    This morning I put the pump in a large bucket and filled it full with water since the pump has a Automatic Diaphragm Switch built into the pump. Nothing. The motor didn't even hum.

Is it possible that the motor burnt out? Is there anything that I should try to get it going again? The power outlet is fine. I dont know the 1st thing about mechanics but hope the pump can work again. help :(

2. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

Test, Don't Guess!
    It's a submersible pump which should never be run without water flowing through it.
    Unless you are very lucky, it is ready for the scrap pile.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. pumpnewbie

pumpnewbie New Member

I thought the motor was dead but yesterday I plugged the sump pump into the outlet and I could hear the motor lightly humming (the pump was not in water I was trying it one last time before chucking it and then this low hum... ) so now I don't know whether it can work again or ... ?:confused: