Sump pump upgrade

Users who are viewing this thread

Guy48065

Reaction score
I've gone through 3 sump pumps in the 25 years I've been in my house.
The last 2 have been Zoeller M53 cast iron pumps.
I'm on sandy soil & a slight slope so my pump doesn't run much, other than laundry which also dumps into the pit.
I don't know if I've had average service life, or lacking.
In shopping online I see I can get a stainless pump for the same $ as the M53--but is it really better or longer-lasting?

Discharge has about 6' lift, thru wall, then ~50 yards to daylight.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
25-years ago, it MIGHT have been allowed to dump laundry water outside, but that is likely no longer true.

The lint, detergents, softeners, bleach, etc. from laundry probably won't help the longevity of your sump pump. How deep and close to the bottom of the pit the pump is can affect how long it lasts if it is deep and can suck up some sand in the process, that will wear on the impeller and seals.

What is failing? The motor, the impeller, the float/switch?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A replacement switch would be much less money and the pump might last another 5-10 years.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks