Submersible pump pulled, minimal flow in test bucket....

Users who are viewing this thread

stonedge

Reaction score
Had a dormant well for a few years after some wiring failed. I just finished pulling up the pump and inspecting everything. Found the control panel to be for a 3/4 so switched that out as the pump is only 1/2 hp. Wiring had been spliced in several areas and was cooked in one section so ran all new wiring. Tested the pump in a bucket and it worked great so dropped it back down the well. I shocked the well and ran a few regens on the water softener and the water was great. 5 days later I come home from work and go to the trailer to see if everything is holding, the gal that just moved in said that she had no water in the afternoon after using it some in the morning.

Sure enough, no pressure in the tank. I go to the well and I can hear the pump on. The ground is soggy but it had been raining so I wasn't sure if it was a breakage underground. I disconnected the line in the well casing, no water coming out.

I pulled the pump up the 100 ft again and tested it in a bucket. This time I have minimal flow, less than a garden hose from the 1-1/4" line, a far cry from 5 days before. I thought it might be the capacitor at the control panel so I swapped it out, thats not the issue (not sure if it even could be?)

So, before I go drop $650 on a new one, anything I should look into before hand? The pump is roughly 25 years old, can't read make or model, just a long number ending in 87 (year built?). Being that the trailer is rented out I'd rather not have any hassles but if it could be a relatively easy fix I'd rather try that first.

Thanks.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Shocking the well probably let enough stuff come lose to clog up the intake screen or even the first impeller. It might could be cleaned up but like Craigpump said, a 25 year old pump might not be worth messing with.

stonedge

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I figured so and although money is the tightest it's been in a long time i'd rather not deal with the headache. It's already wasted a few of my days. Cheers.

Reach4

Reaction score
The problem was not the capacitor, because the capacitor is only used in starting. In this case the pump was started.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks