Stuck shower valve

Users who are viewing this thread

The Razz

Reaction score
Stuck valve in my 1950s shower.

Any recommendations on a replacement single handle shower valve? I’d like to attack this from the back so that tile repair is unnecessary. I don’t want to spend a fortune but still want reasonable durability.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I assume this is a Moen valve, and if so, you need a good plumber with the proper tools, (I have five different ones since no single tool works on every situation), to remove the piece.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
From the 50's, it may be better to replace it as you indicated. But, replacing the cartridge should return it to it's as new function, but not appearance. That can be challenging, depending on the type as HJ mentioned.

I like Grohe and Delta. I think the Delta may be more flexible, and is usually easier to get parts for. At a plumbing supply store, the Delta stuff is sold in two parts: rough-in valve, then a second package with the trim and cartridge. Big box stores may package those two together, but they give you fewer options.

The Delta R10000 rough-in valve would allow you to choose between three different types of valve functions depending on which trim/cartridge you choose (and, you could change your mind 10-years down the road without changing the rough-in, only the trim and cartridge!). Those three choices are: single handle pressure balance; two controls - one for volume, second for temperature; two controls - one for volume, second for thermostatic control. The price goes up as you go in the string I mentioned, partly because of the additional moving parts and partly because of the more complex trim. Then, depending on the finish on the trim and the style, those throw in different price points.

In reality, though, if you stick with one of the major brands, most work pretty well. All code compliant ones will have anti-scald technology that your old valve probably does not have, and may also be available in no-lead versions (which is becoming a requirement).

The Razz

Reaction score
Thanks for that great answer Jim.
I've checked the Delta website and found:
R10000-UNBXHF (shower only rough in)
T17230 trim and cartridge
Looks like a nice weekend project :)

The Razz

Reaction score
After a bit more research, the existing shower valve is a Kohler Niedecken. I've disassembled it and determined that it needs some TLC. Problem is...I cannot extract the yoke to replace it's o-rings or examine the seats.

Seems like it should simply slide out of the body but I've had no success. Is there a trick to removing the yoke?

The Razz

Reaction score
Never mind...I fixed it with $85 worth of parts from a surplus/old plumbing parts store. It works as good as new now...comparatively speaking.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks