Wolverine Brass, Stuck Shower Stem with no bonnet- 60's

Users who are viewing this thread

Kickapoogirl

Reaction score
Hello-
Finally dealing w/50's leaky bathtub fixtures. PB blasted the leaky threaded tub spout, water also leaking from the hot faucet. Removed all the stuff, only to find, like every other plumbing problem in this home, a problem. NO Bonnet. Yes, I have access from the back, and in fact took my drill to open up the piece of wood framing that was there to hold it up or make in inaccessible.... No Bonnet. The stem threads directly into the large brass cast fitting, which goes to the hot, cold, would be upward for the shower but that is blocked off, and to the tub spout.

Camera is a tomorrow project, so let me describe this critter to you. Cap cover on the faucet says Wolverine, I would estimate early 60's. Brass thread directly into large brass cast fixture. Length from top of stem to where it enters cast brass is about 2". The stem goes into gray plastic, which as two small holes and a slot, which then goes into a brass piece, which goes into the brass cast. The stem turns a 1/4 turn to turn the water on. There are also notches where this plastic part fits into the threaded brass which fits into the brass cast piece. Notch on the top and the bottom. The plastic section ends about 1 1/4 inch from the tip of the stem. I've pored over google images, not finding anything quite like this.

Since there is no bonnet, how does this thing come apart? I'd like to get it apart, and find anything that will fit the thread size of the brass cast if oem is impossible. The bathtub surround is SO bad and rotten, that 8 years ago when I moved in, I cut celery green plastic siding in to fit to the fixtures and caulked it in, just so the shower was usable. And it looked better, scary. What is under that, is truly ugly. No worries, I can make whatever work with the surround, just trying to find how to get the bugger apart, and more importantly, what thread stem assembly would fit into it. Fine thread. Could this be opposite thread? Ring any bells?

Really respect your work you're doing here. I'll tell you about the prior plumbing adventure later if you want, it's rather a hoot. Thanks!

Denise

Kickapoogirl

Reaction score
Photos of Wolverine Shower Cartridge?

Here is a couple of photos of it. Have determined that it may need a special cartridge puller from wolverine, part number 55729? I can probably find one of those, but need to determine exactly the cartridge replacement part needed. Any help appreciated.

005.jpg
004.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks