Steping up my water volume?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Links_56, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Links_56

Links_56 New Member

Hello, Thanks for being here. I am working, in a small town of 200 or less, on a restaurant addition. The city only Provides a 3/4" water line to the old building. In the new building however there are 6 fixtures that require 1" Line ran to them. I was thinking that I should run a 3/4" line off of the old building then a check valve then into a 30Gallon Pressure tank(like you would use on a well), then take it to 1" from there. Would this work? What would you do in this situation? Thanks in advance, Justin.
  2. valveman

valveman Moderator Staff Member

A pressure tank is not going to give you more volume. You need larger water lines or a booster pump set up.
  3. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

You not only need a 1" supply line, you need a 1" meter as well. Usually the city must install meters. They charge for the meter and the labor to install. Labor won't be too bad, but the meter will be spendy. You will be responsible for the expense to install the line into the building. Local practices might change that scenario some, but that is the usual procedure.
  4. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Really Justin commercial work in the state of Ill. really should have a licensed plumber on the job...

Especially a restaraunt...
  5. Links_56

Links_56 New Member

The city wont put in a bigger service they dont have enough volume themselves. they supply the city off of one well i believe. We've got to make it work off of the other building. I was just thinking that if there was a tank that had 30 gallons extra sitting in it then when someone flushed the toilets then it would pull out of the tank in stead of draining the other building. then the tank could refill at its own speed.
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

tank

The tank will act as an accumulator and provide the pressure and volume to flush the toilets. Just place it as close to the toilets as possible, and have adequate piping between it and the toilets.
  7. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Since increasing meter and supply line sizing won't be an alternative, the reserve tank is a possibility, but there is another solution that would be better still. Replace the existing toilets with Toto eco Drakes that require only require 1.3 gallons per flush.
  8. Links_56

Links_56 New Member

The toilets are 1.3g per flush but there are 6 of them, do you think the 3/4" line will supply those? should I put the tank in anyways just a safe measure? What about putting a step up pump after the tank.
  9. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

In my opinion, the 3/4" line should supply those toilets just fine. Remember it will be unusual for all 6 of them to be flushed at the same time, and it doesn't take very long for a 1.3 gallon toilet to fill. Also, it is not pressure you need, it is volume. You can only get so much water from a 3/4" line. Had you told us in the beginning that you were using 1.3 gallon toilets, I think some of what we answered would have been a bit different.
  10. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

toilets

Tank toilets do not use the water line to flush them. Once the tank is full the toilet will flush properly. All an undersized water line might do is slow down the refilling cycle, making it a bit longer time before it will flush properly again. And even that is probably not a factor since the normal use of a toilet would give ample time for refilling to occur.