Steping up my water volume?

Users who are viewing this thread

Links_56

Reaction score
Hello, Thanks for being here. I am working, in a small town of 200 or less, on a restaurant addition. The city only Provides a 3/4" water line to the old building. In the new building however there are 6 fixtures that require 1" Line ran to them. I was thinking that I should run a 3/4" line off of the old building then a check valve then into a 30Gallon Pressure tank(like you would use on a well), then take it to 1" from there. Would this work? What would you do in this situation? Thanks in advance, Justin.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You not only need a 1" supply line, you need a 1" meter as well. Usually the city must install meters. They charge for the meter and the labor to install. Labor won't be too bad, but the meter will be spendy. You will be responsible for the expense to install the line into the building. Local practices might change that scenario some, but that is the usual procedure.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Really Justin commercial work in the state of Ill. really should have a licensed plumber on the job...

Especially a restaraunt...

Links_56

Reaction score
The city wont put in a bigger service they dont have enough volume themselves. they supply the city off of one well i believe. We've got to make it work off of the other building. I was just thinking that if there was a tank that had 30 gallons extra sitting in it then when someone flushed the toilets then it would pull out of the tank in stead of draining the other building. then the tank could refill at its own speed.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tank

The tank will act as an accumulator and provide the pressure and volume to flush the toilets. Just place it as close to the toilets as possible, and have adequate piping between it and the toilets.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Since increasing meter and supply line sizing won't be an alternative, the reserve tank is a possibility, but there is another solution that would be better still. Replace the existing toilets with Toto eco Drakes that require only require 1.3 gallons per flush.

Links_56

Reaction score
The toilets are 1.3g per flush but there are 6 of them, do you think the 3/4" line will supply those? should I put the tank in anyways just a safe measure? What about putting a step up pump after the tank.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
In my opinion, the 3/4" line should supply those toilets just fine. Remember it will be unusual for all 6 of them to be flushed at the same time, and it doesn't take very long for a 1.3 gallon toilet to fill. Also, it is not pressure you need, it is volume. You can only get so much water from a 3/4" line. Had you told us in the beginning that you were using 1.3 gallon toilets, I think some of what we answered would have been a bit different.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
toilets

Tank toilets do not use the water line to flush them. Once the tank is full the toilet will flush properly. All an undersized water line might do is slow down the refilling cycle, making it a bit longer time before it will flush properly again. And even that is probably not a factor since the normal use of a toilet would give ample time for refilling to occur.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks