Standing water and no power in Bosch dishwasher

Users who are viewing this thread

konocti

Reaction score
My Bosch SHX3AR72UC dishwasher stopped mid-cycle last night. There was standing water in the bottom this morning and all of the buttons are non-functional (no lights, power, etc.). The on/off button does nothing, even though I checked to make sure the main breaker in the basement is on. The disposal next to the washer, which is on the same circuit, is working fine.

I toweled up all the water in the bottom and checked the filter, and there didn't appear to be any clog or blockage that I can see. We never leave solid food on our dishes, so the filter is always pretty much squeaky clean every time I check it anyway. The hose is properly installed about 22"-24" off the floor too.

Is there an internal breaker in the unit that could have tripped for some reason? Why else might the machine not power up?

Dave

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The first thing i would do is check for power at the unit. If there was a bad connection where the wires are spliced together, the current draw from the heater can overheat the splice and open the circuit.

konocti

Reaction score
That makes a lot of sense, although the unit was installed brand-new in the last six months and everything should have been pretty tight. Still, it's possible the person who did it could have missed a beat on the connection and fouled it up somehow, so I'll look into it. Thanks!

Dave

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Just to expand on cacher-chick's reply to your question. You've already done the obvious when you checked the breakers, and the appliance next to it, so the problem has to be with the DW connection either in the connecting wire or internally. You might be able to check the external wiring, but if that appears OK, then I would suggest an appliance repairman.

konocti

Reaction score
Update: Loose cable in the door! (Manufacturer error, or...?)

The dishwasher was under warranty, and when I determined I couldn't find an obvious problem on my own, I called Bosch and they recommended a number of local appliance repair outfits to come out and have a look.

Five minutes after they arrived, they opened up the panel in the door to expose the electronics and found a hanging cable. Now it's working again like a charm.

No charge, of course. Could have been a lot worse! Thanks for the help and insights on this end...!

Dave

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Glad everything is back to normal. Sometimes the repair person is the best way to go on problems when you are not familiar with the insides of an appliance. You could unwittingly cause more damage than the original problem and end up pay a lot more.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks