Stand Alone Dishwasher Drain

Users who are viewing this thread

cds0020

Reaction score
I am in the middle of a kitchen renovation and have run into a potential issue with how the dishwasher drain was piped in the past. The dishwasher drained into a standpipe below the floor the floor with a p-trap under it connecting it to the main waste pipe. It has no vent other than where the main waste line turns up the wall to vent through the roof about 6' horizontally above where the p-trap connects to the main waste line.

The kitchen is a U shape, so the drain pipe has to run through cabinets and a 90-degree turn to get to the sink...I'd rather not do this. Attached are 3 options that I came up with...1)Leave as-is and reinstall dishwasher like it was before; 2)Leave trap as-is and extend standpipe up through floor as high as possible, or 3)Completely redo piping for dishwasher drain. Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• Dishwasher Waste - Existing.png
    Dishwasher Waste - Existing.png
    9 KB · Views: 3,552
  • Dishwasher Waste - Extend Standpipe.png
    Dishwasher Waste - Extend Standpipe.png
    11.2 KB · Views: 3,846
  • Dishwasher Waste - Complete Redo.png
    Dishwasher Waste - Complete Redo.png
    20.4 KB · Views: 9,014

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
#2, (right hand one), will work, but #3, (bottom one) is best. Do NOT connect the DW drain directly to the standpipe, unless you have an air gap in the counter top.

cds0020

Reaction score
Follow-up question - Instead of changing the existing piping, I may just run the drain line to the sink. The sink is a 48" corner cabinet plus about 3' away from the dishwasher. So I'm looking at about 6' or 7' of drain line to get there. Instead of going through the cabinets, would it work if I took the drain down through the floor and ran under the floor joists in the crawlspace, then back up into the sink cabinet? I would probably use CPVC through the crawlspace if I did this.

Reach4

Reaction score
Instead of going through the cabinets, would it work if I took the drain down through the floor and ran under the floor joists in the crawlspace, then back up into the sink cabinet?
No.

I am not a plumber. I would go with number 2 except that I would extend the pipe to only 42 inches above the under-floor trap arm. I don't know why a maximum might be important, but I read there are codes that have maximums of 30, 42 and 48 inches. So 42 seems like a medium choice.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks