Stacked bathroom remodel 2.0 (updated)

Users who are viewing this thread

Paul C

Reaction score
This is an update to a previous thread I posted back when i thought plumbing was easy.... View Original Thread

Things are always different when you're lying on your back in a tight crawlspace trying to fit things together. I f'd up and put in a section of horizontal vent from a wye straight down from the WC on the first floor (which went to a long 90 and then into a flat wye on the 4"). Once i climbed out and looked at it, I came back to your forum and saw where horizontal vents below the flood could be rejected. I dont want the inspector here any longer than necessary so I am going to re-do it like the attached drawing. I only have 25" from the floor to the dirt so its tight enough I figured I'd better CAD it out to make sure everything would fit.

I've included as much detail as I can for the benefit of others. This site by far is the best resource I've found for DIY advice.

My question now is.... Am I going to get any grief for capping off a future vent at the bottom? Would it be better to use a san tee and a 90 instead of the wye/45? It may be years before it is used and I suppose rain and debris from the roof vent could find its way in there over time. I wouldn't think it'd be a problem but it seems with regards to plumbing, the more I learn, the less I know.
Something else that has changed is that it turns out my sewer line intercepts the city main at its far upstream end so I am the first on the line but also the shallowest, i'll have to survey to see if i have enough fall. I may end up using an ejector instead of lowering the the house drop if and when i need to replace the original clay tile line. If that's the case, which I'm thinking it will be, the only thing in the basement the ejector would serve would be a washing machine as I would scrap the idea of stubbing for a bathroom. Now... venting the ejector, this thread says an ejector should have a 'dedicated' 2 inch vent. Would I be ok with the ejector vent tying in to the toilet vent or do i need to run it up to the second floor or attic to tie into the 3" direct?

Naturally any suggestions or comments are always welcome... when looking at the drawing, the WC's, tub and shower, and lav trap arms turn 90 degrees away from you. The shower trap arm is approx 22". I did not include the branch from the kitchen and laundry room in the drawing... that will dump into a not shown wye upstream of the others in the 4" drain.

In case your wondering about the basement discrepancy from the previous threads drawing, this house originally had a full crawlspace. The previous owner dug out half of it to convert it to a basement. He did not do it right and I will have to go in and underpin it properly. While I'm doing that i might as well dig out the other half.... but that's as story for another forum.

Attachments

• DWV.jpg
    DWV.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 303
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks