Stackable funnel

Users who are viewing this thread

DaveD54

Reaction score
Hello,

I decided to replace an old toilet. Pulled the toilet and found the toilet drain pipe with a lip. Also used with the old toilet was a funnel type device. The old flange was badly rusted, so I was told to use a replacement kit. I have not been able to find a replacement for the funnel and the guys at HD and Lowes are not much help. Should I just use the old funnel (it is not damaged, just needs a little cleaning.) If I use the old funnel, how do I create a seal between the funnel and the toilet drain pipe lip? Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Torrance-20140310-00120.jpg
    Torrance-20140310-00120.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 227
  • Torrance-20140310-00121.jpg
    Torrance-20140310-00121.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 227

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
I was going to say that I think you've got two issues that you don't realize are separate.

First issue: getting your flange in shape. I can't really tell from the photo, but a repair ring like Terry uses may be in order, or more may be involved.

Second issue: installing the toilet on the flange. Whomever installed it last time use a Fernco waxless seal. Some people like them. I myself am perfectly happy with a tried-and-true-and-cheaper wax seal, like most people use. Just get a good wax ring, preferably one without the little plastic insert in it, and place it on the flange, then smush the toilet down onto it without rocking. If the top of the flange is above the level of the finished floor, then you only need one ring.

DaveD54

Reaction score
Thanks Reach,

I think I will use the wax ring that I bought, but it looks like the fernco part would have worked as well. The old "funnel" did not have the flared ribs at the bottom- could they have rotted away over time? A guy at Lowes sold me a similar device like you cited, with and integrated flange, but without the non-wax sealing feature. I did a dry fit with the Lowes part and the toilet was sitting on the flange, toilet rocking, which seemed like a red flag to me.

DaveD54

Reaction score
Thanks, WJ, Like I told Reach4, I don't think it was a fernco part. As I removed the toilet, I was surprised at the amount of wax, above and below the funnel in my photo. The last toilet reseat was probably over 20 years ago- the toilet is the original 40 year old, but a previous owner had a poorly done cutout of the closet, my guess is to fix a leak. Curious as to why you don't recommend the wax ring with plastic insert?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks