Square D Control Switch with Automatic Low Pressure Cut Off

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by RayMan, Feb 12, 2010.

1. RayMan

RayMan Shared Well Services

Square D offers a pressure control switch that can include an automatic pump cut off in the event the pressure drops 10 psi below the cut in pressure. Will the cut off option provide reasonable protection for the pump against dry well pumping conditions?

Is 10 psi below the normal cut in experienced with other water usage conditions that would trip the control switches automatic cut off making the switch a nuisance having to manually reset the switch?

Thanks Again For Your Help & Experience!! :)
  2. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

Yes it will and yes you should.
  3. thassler

thassler New Member

Just something to keep in mind is that the low pressure cut-off switch only works if water is being used. For example, If the pump is refilling the pressure tank but the well goes dry before cut-off pressure is reached and no water is being used, the pump will continue to run.
  4. ballvalve

ballvalve General Engineering Contractor

Rare event combination, and almost no nuisance trips at all. Not many return calls for the pros if they use them, which few seem to do.
  5. Akpsdvan

Akpsdvan In the Trades

As a well driller told me about this kinda a switch, poor mans low water protection.. It will work but the low water protection of some thing like a Coyote would be better.
  6. Jay J

Jay J New Member

Could you please explain? I have a friend who has this pressure switch on a pump that pulls water from an atmospheric tank. The assumption was that if the tank ran dry, when the pressure dropped 10 PSI below the cut-in pressure, the pump would stop. The complaint is that the pump keeps running and your info confirms that, but I want to understand why.

Jay
  7. craigpump

craigpump Member

Spend the money for a Pump Tek, they are reliable and less of a pain in the a$$ because they reset themselves.
  8. DonL

DonL Jack of all trades Master of one

I know the well guys do not like them, the lever hurts their thumb waiting for the tank to get up to 10psi.

That lever does hurt.

I made a Block of wood, that slides over the lever to hold it open while I just watch the pressure, and my thumb and fingers don't hurt.

They work OK, but can be a PITA waiting for that first 10psi.
  9. valveman

valveman Moderator Staff Member

Low pressure cut-off switches only shut the pump off when the system pressure is lower than the ON setting. If you have a sprinkler or something running for long periods of time, when the storage tank is empty, the pump can’t keep the pressure up and the system goes off on low pressure. But if you only flushed a toilet the pump will start at 40 PSI, and the toilet fills quickly, so there is not more water being used. The storage tank is empty so the pump cannot fill the pressure tank to 60 PSI and shut off the pump. So the pressure just hovers around 50 PSI, and the pump doesn’t shut off until it melts down and trips the breaker.

The only thing a low-pressure cut off switch can do reliably is to shut the pump off if there is a major line break. It is really not dependable for a Dry Well condition or a small leak in the mainline.

Devices like the Cycle Sensor http://www.cyclestopvalves.com/prod_sensor.html look at amps not pressure to determine if the well is dry. This is more reliable and can be used with the built it timer to automatically restart the pump after the well has had time to recover.