sprinklers won't turn on

Discussion in 'Irrigation / Sprinkler Forum' started by Emily Verstraete, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Emily Verstraete

Emily Verstraete New Member

I tried to turn on my sprinklers yesterday after they have been dormant for the winter. Only one of the three stations will turn on. What could the problem be?
  2. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

One possibility is the common wire (usually white) is broken. That wire is linked from one valve to the next, usually connected with waterproof wire nut. If the connection is lost after the first valve in the chain, #1 would work but the follow valves would not. You didn't mention which valve in the chain comes on, so this is just a stab in the dark. Waterproof wire nuts can be purchased, but regular nuts with silicone packed will work just fine too.
  3. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Go to each valve and try to turn on manually, by slightly unscrewing the solenoid one turn or so. You may have to disassemble some valves, blow out the bleed ports, maybe replace some solenoids. And of course dont rule out wiring problems as mentioned by gary
  4. mike1059

mike1059 irrigation tech.

As gary said the most likely cause is a bad wire connection if station 1 comes on but 2 and 3 do not. If 2 or 3 comes on and the others do not check the flow control knobs in the center of the valves. Sometimes if the knob was turned partway down a slight change in pressure will keep them from opening.
  5. casey.robert.irving

casey.robert.irving New Member

Agreed

I agree 100% with both of them.
  6. Emily Verstraete

Emily Verstraete New Member

What if my station 2 turns on but not 1 or 3?
  7. BobL43

BobL43 DIY Senior Member

I think Jimbo gave you very good advice by trying to operate the manually. did all 3 valve work when tried manually?
  8. mike1059

mike1059 irrigation tech.

If all valves open manualy and all the valves are in the same valve box it is most likely the wire connections. If they are in differant boxes it could be a broken wire.