Softener is pumping out resin

Users who are viewing this thread

Chad D.

Reaction score
New softener is all setup and running, with many thanks to you folks here! I followed the initial setup instructions, and have it in service.

I set it to regen on the first night, and noticed a bunch of resin was discharged from the drain when I walked by it the next morning... I call manufacturer, and they suggested I check the integrity of the 1/4" PE line to the brine tank, thinking it may be sucking air. I manually commanded the softener to fill the brine tank and held up the float valve to fully pressurize this line, and can't see any leaks under positive pressure. Not sure how to check under vacuum.

Another thought was the softener may have been over-filled with resin. To check this, I set it to regen again on night #2. Same thing this morning...

Everything appears to be working correctly, so I'm a bit stumped. My system is fairly simple, and I am 99.9% sure it is all installed correctly. Softener is an Avid IX-1054. 1.5 ft capacity. If you're standing in front of the panel, the water enters on the right side, and exits on the left. That is the way the arrows lay it out, as well as the manual.

Below is the order that I have it assembled:
Well>check valve>pressure switch>50 micron sediment strainer>tee with one outlet feeding pressure tank>softener>Big Blue with 25/5 DGD>house piping.

Any thoughts? Hoping to get this figured out before all of my resin wanders into my yard. Lost about a shovel full so far.

Thanks,
Chad

Bannerman

Reaction score
New resin will contain some undersize and fractured resin granules which will be commonly-flushed to drain during the initial few backwash cycles. While loss of any amount is worrisome when unexpected, the larger concern is when resin continues to be discharged after multiple cycles.

For a 10" diameter softener, the DLFC (drain restrictor button) will be 2.2-2.4 GPM. This rate will be less if a Vortech tank is utilized but you will know that as it will be a premium option.

To verify the backwash rate, either remove and inspect the BLFC button, or time how long to fill a 3 or 5-gallon bucket using drain flow during backwash. If removing the button, the button orientation is directional so reinstall facing the same direction as when removed.

If the correct flow restrictor is installed, measure the temperature of the water arriving at your home after several minutes of flow. If your water is colder than average, the resin will be lifted higher in the tank during backwash so the restrictor button may need to be exchanged with a lower-capacity version.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Another thought was the softener may have been over-filled with resin. To check this, I set it to regen again on night #2. Same thing this morning...
Another thing to check is the resin bead size. Regular resin beads are small. Fine resin is really small. http://wcponline.com/2004/03/14/water-conditioners-maximizing-water-softener-efficiencies/ says
Fine mesh resins that have a bead size between 40 mesh (0.4 mm) to 50 mesh (0.30 mm)​

You probably cannot measure that. I don't have an optical comparator any more either.

If you have an almond colored tank, you can shine a bright light through in the dark to see the bed expansion. You don't want to expand to the top, but if you did, there is usually a top basket screen to stop the flying non-broken beads.

If your drain line is flexible, you could time how long it takes to fill a 5 gallon bucket. 2.4 gallons should take 125 seconds.

Chad D.

Reaction score
I'll meter the discharge rate and see what happens! Hoping this is just a new system settling in...

Reach4

Reaction score
I'll meter the discharge rate and see what happens! Hoping this is just a new system settling in...
If what is going to the drain is only broken pieces, then it could be settling in.

If you are getting undamaged beads, something is wrong.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Here is a picture of standard, fine mesh, and ultra fine mesh resin. The smaller the resin bead the lower the backwash rate. What is your water temperature?

upload_2021-2-3_16-22-40.png

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks