Softener and Iron filter replacement recommendations

Discussion in 'Water Softener Forum, problems, installation and r' started by pdesourdy, Dec 11, 2013.

1. pdesourdy

pdesourdy New Member

Hi all,

Longtime lurker posting for first time. I'm looking to replace a greensand iron filter and water softener that are both about 16 years old. Currently 2 people in the household but eventually will be 4.

Analysis results from private lab are as follows:

Hardness mg/L 316 (18 gpg)
    pH 7.7
    Total Dissolved Solids mg/L 584
    Sulphide mg/L Not detected ( less than 0.02)
    Calcium mg/L 92.3
    Iron mg/L 2
    Magnesium mg/L 20.8

Any thoughts on the following to replace my greensand filter and softener:

Fleck 5600SXT 48,000 Grain (1.5 cu ft) softener http://www.aquatell.ca/water-soften...k-5600-sxt-metered-water-softener-48000-grain
    Hydrotech AIO 1.5cu ft chemical free iron filter http://www.aquatell.ca/iron-water-filters/hydrotech/aio-chemical-free-iron-water-filter-system-1.5

Any thoughts would be much appreciated

Thanks

Phil
  2. mialynette2003

mialynette2003 Member

The chemical free filter uses air to oxidize the iron and then a media to remove it. I would ask what type of media and check to make sure you have the flow rate to properly clean the media. Iron medias can be very heavy and not having the proper flow rate may cause it to premature fail due to improper flow rate.