"Smoking" vent lines

Users who are viewing this thread

SCJJCJ

Reaction score
I have a new home that is approx 2 years old. The home has a septic system. Whenever it rains we get sewer gas in the house. I have found a toilet drain line with a drilled hole in it as well as three connections in the vent lines that were simply dry fitted togethr (No cement). All have been corrected and we are still experiencing the problem. I have replaced the wax ring on all toilets. All toilets, sinks, showers, etc are used on a regular basis (dailey) so no dry traps (theoretically).

Based on past experience I assume there are additional joints in the vent lines that have not been cemented together. I have read in a couple places that they can cap the vent lines and introduce smoke into the sytem to locate leaks. My questions is how well does this work if the leak is inside finished walls? How do you find the smoke?

Thanks for your help.

Tbplumbloco

Reaction score
smoke test DWV

This is what happens when there is not a strict final plumbing test given after all the fixtures are set,anyway to administer a smoke test you must cap or plug all vent penetrations thru the roof and also install a test ball in the sewer line,there should be a clean out just before it leaves the house or right out side the house,by doing this you have contained your DWV system,your fixture traps all have water in them,take one of the caps off the vent pipe + introduce the smoke into your system,cap it quickly.The theory is the traps will keep the smoke from entering the house and if there is a leak the smoke will expose the problem.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
leaks

An uncemented pipe connection will normally be such a tight fit that sewer gases will not leak out of it, because there is no pressure in the system and it is easier for the fumes to exit the roof opening than try to force their way through the tight connection. How are you finding and fixing all these "loose" pipes?

SCJJCJ

Reaction score
TB. But how can the smoke be visible if it's inside a finished, plaster wall?

SCJJCJ

Reaction score
Mikey: Ground saturation, change in atmospheric pressure....not sure.

SCJJCJ

Reaction score
hj said:
An uncemented pipe connection will normally be such a tight fit that sewer gases will not leak out of it, because there is no pressure in the system and it is easier for the fumes to exit the roof opening than try to force their way through the tight connection. How are you finding and fixing all these "loose" pipes?

water stains, follow the smell and open up walls and floors, etc. Checking connections with moisture meter to find which connections aren't cemented.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Given the observations from the first post that the work was shoddily done and accepted by the agency doing the inspections, I would tell the responsible parties that it is a reasonable presumption that the whole system is improperly done and needs to be FULLY INSPECTED AND REPAIRED AS NECESSARY by the responsible parties. It should not the the owner's responsibility to find and point out each defect to the guilty party.

By fixing the first ones, you may have weakened your case, but not much. I would not fix the next one and I would not let them get away with just fixing the next one. You are owed a 100% inspection and repair.

Tbplumbloco

Reaction score
smoke test DWV

Yes it is a difficult task when pipes are concealed.I agree with Bob/NH you need to contact the plumbing jurisdiction that approved the shoddy work, a 2yr old house should not have this type of problem.

SCJJCJ

Reaction score
All that sounds great but as we all know the legal systems is very slow. The situation is what it is and it needs to be fixed now, not after a 4 or 5 year legal battle.

Can anyone answer my original question?

Tbplumbloco

Reaction score
DWV smoke test

The other way to find the leaks in your DWV is to cap or plug the system as described for the smoke test ,but you also have to remove your fixtures and cap or plug each fixture drain,(toilets,lavs,bath,shower,k-sink)get a compressor and fill the system with air,5 psi to start,if every fixture + vents are capped, you will be able to hear the air leaking behind the walls.This will be a slow and tedious task,but it is an option it could keep the damage to your walls,floors and ceiling to a minimum.I would still contact the agency responsible for the inspection.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks