Smell in one shower only and only with hot water

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by RMM, Aug 23, 2008.

1. RMM

RMM New Member

I moved into a 3 year old house last year and recently began to notice a smell in the shower. The house is 3 stories and the smell is only present when I run the hot water in the master shower. It is from the flowing water, not the drain, also the cold water does not emit a smell. All other locations in the house do not have a smell and I cleaned all the drains and replaced the shower head.

The previous owners had a revers osmosis water softener. It was removed when I bought the house.

Any Ideas?

Thanks
    RMM
  2. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

A rotten egg, sulfur smell?
  3. RMM

RMM New Member

Yes, sulfur smell.
  4. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

It is a sulfur reducing bacteria infestation. Your mission is to locate where it resides and elininate it.
  5. RMM

RMM New Member

I think I narrowed it down to the hot water in the master shower. Can it be in the mixing valve? How do I tell? And, once it is found how do I get rid of it?

Thanks
    MM
  6. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Usually a bleach soaking.
    Do you have a separate water heater for this bathroom?
  7. kordts

kordts In the Trades

We had the same problem at our shop. The upstairs office wasn't finished until my boss bought the place. Basically we had a long dead-end until the bathroom was finished. The hot water smelled out of that one faucet until I drained the w.h. and poured a gallon of bleach in it. I filled it up and ran the water out thru the upstairs faucet until the bleach smell was gone. Something started growing in the pipes because some some nasty slime blew out of the stubout. The office staff was about puking when they smelled what was in the bucket.
  8. RMM

RMM New Member

I did a shock chlorination treatment in the hot water tank/hot water lines. It worked great. The smell is gone.

I was not able to remove the anode, tried but could not get it to turn. I had to remove the pressure relief valve and pour the bleach in the side of the tank. I used this site for the procedure to do this : www.h2ouse.org/tour/details/element...&actionID=77E1C0C0-C6FC-490A-8A27ABECEB7AF540

I would still like to look at my anode to see if it needs replacement, any ideas on how to loosen it?

Thanks for all the great help.
  9. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

I use an electric impact wrench...
    It's how they install them!