Slow cycling of well pump / pressure tank

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by desmo, Sep 5, 2010.

1. desmo

desmo New Member

Hi all,

We have a pressure tank setup with a well. The system cycles between 20# and 40#. I just noticed the system is cycling slowly with no fixtures "on" (maybe 10-15 minutes from high to low).

I'm guessing the water is being pumped backed into the well. Do I need a check valve? The pump is a bit of a mystery to me, but it's a pounded well about 70' deep.

Can I install a check valve in the house where the water line enters?

Thanks much in advance for any information!

- Mark
  2. ballvalve

ballvalve General Engineering Contractor

Pull the pipe and fix it from the bottom up.

Check valve might buy you a bit of time to do that.
  3. masterpumpman

masterpumpman New Member

If it's a driven well I'm guessing the check valve is somewhere between the pump and the top of the well. Replace that check valve and you should be OK.
  4. jimtum

jimtum AAW

If you don't see a check valve above ground then you may either have a hole in the pipe or the check valve, foot falve is not holding and as ballvalve said you will need to fix it from the bottom up