Sink shut off valve advice and bonus PEX question

Users who are viewing this thread

NWCherokee

Reaction score
I am pretty sure that when my house was built in 1998, they found the cheapest shut-off valves made with the most plastic they could find. Looking to replace a few as one of them no longer works. What would be the top of the line valves that I should look for? Will be a straight PEX to 3/8 connection. Found a shark bite brand at local box store which is a simple 1/4 turn ball valve and much better than what I have, but willing to look around more.

Second part of question. The PEX I have in my house is Uponor and I have made a couple of repairs over the years using the stainless steel pinch clamps (exterior faucets). The connections seem to be holding up just fine but I have a bunch of work to do remodeling a bathroom and was curious if there is any benefit to investing in a power expander tool or do you think a properly installed pinch clamp would be just as good?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I've only used the expanding tools on Uponor. For stops I've used Brasscraft and Dahl.
Brasscraft has two different grades, I normally use the heavier one. My normal supplier stocks those, but if I switch it up, then I can' be assured of getting my favorites.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks